Post suggestions here!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by airwreck, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDespaxas

TheDespaxas Really Really Experienced

I think it would be useful to be able to sort chapters by view or likes.
    When in the My Chapters menu, it would help see what worked and what didn't more easily. I am sometimes surprised to get a like for a chapter in a story I didn't remember adding to.

Maybe also doing it while check the chapter tab of someone else profile with an option (oldest, most recent, most view, ratings..)

And as said somewhere before (don't remember if it was here) to get a list of the stories you posted in. regardless of your status in them (it's hard to find the 1 or 2 chapters you added to a story in the middle of hundreds you put in yours.)

Vestiphile, Khan, airwreck and 3 others like this.
  2. Loeman

Loeman Really Really Experienced

^as a temporary solution to that problem, what I did was delete all my bookmarks and then bookmarked the start of any threads I continued in other's stories so I could find them quickly.

It's far from a perfect solution, but personally I wasn't using my bookmarks very effectively anyway.

3. TheDespaxas

I mostly did the same but sometimes forgot to bookmark and only put the story as favorite (with dozens of them it's hard to go to each and check the map for my name) an option to keep track of where you posted or where people posted would be useful. For my first month or so posting chapters I only wrote on stories started by others and it was sometimes hard to keep track of it.

4. sexy_pants

sexy_pants Virgin

On a similar note, there's no way to directly reply to somebody. Also being able to edit your comments would be nice.

Zingiber likes this.
  5. Lake_Nine

Lake_Nine Really Experienced

Chyoa currently favors large stories that are updated regularly, not a bad thing but that means a lot of stuff gets lost quickly. I am not super happy when I update a story and 10 minutes later it is off the front page because 10 other people picked that moment to make minor edits to their stories. Maybe some system where a story that is updated hourly doesn't stay on the front page all day. Some kind of update score with diminishing returns for the day. That way a story that is updated all day doesn't block a story which just got one update today. Add finer content controls both for readers and authors. Give reads the ability to follow a story or an author. Give authors the ability the line up chapters for release on a specified date.

Also take a peak at the search system please if you type in "Stepsisters whim" vs "Stepsister's whim" you get very different results

One side note I have noticed some authors asking for likes, and I saw to my surprise it worked really well. So being the whore I am I updated my stories introductions with a short blurb and saw a jump in the number of likes I got. Maybe the site can remind users that thumbs up button exists?

6. HaremStarter

HaremStarter Really Experienced

Maybe make the thumbs up button bigger and more conspicuous.

7. Loeman

Loeman Really Really Experienced

Hah! That's funny, and I'd imagine for some sick reason statistically effective.

8. Lake_Nine

Reading through the remove dislike button thread that turned into a book writing competition I think we might consider a slight set of changes to the like dislike system. Try and encourage users to leave more ratings, maybe bigger or colored buttons might work. Consider a way for readers to leave notes to the author that are private, very similar to comments but the psychology may be different if they think the author will read it. Consider a prompt to leave a comment on a dislike. I think we also need to talk about what we want likes to do, are they a meaningless number, do they give magic points to a score, do they put you on the front page, are they reinvested in up and coming stories, or are they just there to provide feedback from a reader to other readers and the author.

I wouldn't call it an urgent change but something to consider

9. Lake_Nine

Also something I forgot if a story was created by author X but authors A B and C did work in it maybe we could reflect that more clearly? Possible adding a contributors section under author on the info tab of a story or something.

10. HaremStarter

Anything that keeps your story visible helps. While not as big as staying on the front page; being one of the top ten stories in your genre by rating does help get you readers.

Lake_Nine likes this.
  11. Lake_Nine

I did not know there were really genres huh

12. HaremStarter

Teen, erotic coupling, incest, etc etc. You not knowing is understandable the search feature is a bit counter intuitive.

13. Lake_Nine

When browsing stories the chapters deep number can be misleading. Maybe a small number showing abbreviated word count or something like that. It could be total or chapter average, might let you find better content quicker.

Sthaana likes this.
  14. TheDespaxas

I got an idea thinking about the private, public moderated stuff.

Hard to tell if it is possible but an option to lock a chapter or branch could be useful.
    What I mean by that is that if per chance you make story with two characters, you are open to participation but want the focus to be on these. Then you lock the first chapter, people can add things to others but not on the first one.
    That way if you use it smartly you could have a story in public mode where the owner can set a few directions and even create personal branches where no one else can post.
    If it is doable we can even add it to the profiles, so that an author could lock his first chapter in a story, that way you can have multiple authors posting in their own branch of a story without fear of messing with others.

This could be a good addition to the current statuses, the openeness of public with the safety about your story not being destroyed of private.

15. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

I like the idea above, but would add that it would be better still if you can do this not only as described above but in any story and both ways, so you could have "open" sections in a story that's "private" overall, or "lock down" branches in a moderated story that you want reserved for your own use...

Sthaana likes this.
  16. Nemo of Utopia

There's something I've been thinking about of and on for a while: could we add a gender option for stories to be placed under called "either"?
    Yes, I understand that "Both" KIND OF covers that, but not quite. Think about it: 'both' implies that you see from the perspective of men and women, but in a lot of stories marked that way the very first choice you are asked to make is "Are you male or female?" and after that you are stuck with it...

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but when I saw the 'both' stamp on a story when I was first here, I thought it meant 'Hermaphrodite'... I bet some other people did too...

russellbeach likes this.
  17. TripleAlfa

TripleAlfa Virgin

I'd like to see invisible choices become an option rather than just grayed out ones. Right now if you don't meet the requirements to view a chapter the option is still visible, just not clickable. I'm running into problems because of this as my intended title is a spoiler for another chapter.

Edit:
    I tried to circumvent the problem by adding an if-statement to the title, but that also doesn't seem to work.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Khan, Nemo of Utopia and gene.sis like this.
  18. HaremStarter

Would it be possible under the newly updated and new stories listed on the front page to have what pov they are written in shown as well as category and chapter depth.

airwreck likes this.
  19. Khan

Khan Virgin

^^^ This, plus I think we should also have a link to the story map with the recent chapters highlighted.

airwreck and Friedman like this.
  20. Nemo of Utopia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.