For Queen And Country! (System & Character Creation)

Discussion in 'RPG Information' started by Nemo of Utopia, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

OK: Reading what I missed went a lot faster than expected:

Bastardlydastard:
    1A: I am not familiar with Skinwalkers: are they like junior grade Werewolves? (A Link to the race page on the SRD is requested.)
    1B: I also am slightly worried by Damar's apparent status as 'token evil teammate' or am I reading the character wrong?

Moonblack:
    2: Syleen seems OK, but I will warn you that I have been told by an IRL lesbian that I can't write lesbian sex scenes convincingly.

Majus:
    3: Nalana Yinrie looks mostly good as well, and I am glad you decided to embrace the possibilities of the campaign by taking Sex Appeal and so on, however I note she is still not finished.

GenericEditor168:
    4a: Your alignment of "Lawful/Chaotic" is not in keeping with this game's focus on simplicity: While in many of my games it would be perfectly acceptable with the addition of a 'Neutral' at the end in this one we only allow for the Law-Neutral-Chaos and Good-Neutral-Evil axies.
    4b: I see Sslvark has good taste in Liqueurs, I am partial to Applejack myself.
    4c: Your character seems good to go otherwise: I like the backstory.

Everyone:
    5: HP is max per level +/- CON.
    6: With a plurality of players who have expressed interest ready (or almost ready) I am now
    aiming for a first post for the main game of Tuesday or Wednesday.
    7: Please be reminded that I will not be updating the main game as often as I have this character creation phase: I am planing to go slowly with it so as to hopefully avoid burning out on it. Updates may be less than weekly: I implore everyone to not deluge the thread with responses/OoC Chatter/dialogue between updates, as this has led to burn out in the past.
    8: I will be less available after 7:00 Tonight until 01:00 Tuesday: use the help files on the SRD where you can: I will TRY to drop in for quick updates to clarify remaining questions on my brand new phone between times IF POSSIBLE...

bastardlydastard and RadioGalaxy like this.
  2. GenericEditor168

GenericEditor168 Really Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

Not quite sure what that means... sounds exactly like what the normal alignment system is. More detail, please?

3. Nemo of Utopia

Sometimes when I run a game, ones in environments more conducive to detail and subtle shades of gray, I break the Law/Chaos Axis into Lawful VS Anarchistic and Chaotic VS Ordered: Essentially your reactions and attitudes toward organization enforced from without, and self-imposed from within. Many Terrorists for example are intensely Orderly, but by their nature Anarchistic: while a true police force is by it's nature Lawful but in many areas are Neutral at best with respect to Order Vs Chaos. I also split each alignment aspect into 5 degrees: Hard-X, Semi-X, Neutral, Semi-Y, & Hard-Y. So for example you could be Semi-Good/Hard-Lawful/Neutral (A good cop.): or Hard-Evil/Semi-Anarchistic/Hard-Ordered. (An Organized Violent Terrorist Leader.)

EDIT: This doesn't make sense for this game as we are trying to KISS and also it would mean there were 125 total alignments.

4. GenericEditor168

Wait, it worked itself out in my head. Good/Chaos please (fundamentally a good lizard, but with a cavalier attitude towards the law.)

RadioGalaxy likes this.
  5. RadioGalaxy

RadioGalaxy Really Experienced

Wait... What? ;-;

I think Keria is Lawful Neutral...

Nemo of Utopia likes this.
  6. Nemo of Utopia

@RadioGalaxy : don't worry about it, we're not going to use my "Advanced Alignments System" anyway.

RadioGalaxy likes this.
  7. bastardlydastard

bastardlydastard Really Experienced

1A: Yeah, no problem, here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/standard-races-1-10-rp/skinwalkers-10-rp
    You are pretty much right though, just baby werewolves.

1B: I can see how what I wrote would be interpreted that way, but no, he's not evil. He really just alternates between chaotic good in his human form and chaotic neutral in his beast form. In his human form he is basically a good person. In his beast form, he isn't evil, just an asshole that's prone to violence. He does not hurt innocent people, ever. That's his rule, his only one, and it applies to both forms.

8. Nemo of Utopia

I can understand the 'One Neat Aspect' element, and if that's how it works I'm fine with it, but I would warn you that unless you have a Paladin or Inquisitor with the group avoiding hurting 'Innocent' people is not going to be easy. (For alignment purposes my games use the 'American System'; "Innocent Until Proven Guilty": this means that if you hurt people who are Neutral and have not already attacked you/your allies, you take a hit on either the good/evil (mostly) and/or Law/Chaos (situational) alignment axis.

BTW alignment is tracked on a 101 point scale 100% Lawfull or Good to 0% Lawfull or Good with the thresholds for Being "Good"/"Lawfull" falling at 70% or higher and "Evil"/"Chaotic" falling at 30% or lower. You don't get to know your own scores on this track: just if, at the end of the session, (or sooner in a few situations mostly involving spell casting,) you've changed brackets. There is a "Hierarchy of Sins/Mitzvahs*" for both Good/Evil and Law/Chaos which correspond to various numbers and types of dice. When you commit that sin or perform that Mitzvah* I roll that die/ those dice, and your alignment on that axis moves that many points up or down.
    *(Mitzvah:
    Iregular Verb/Noun:
    1: An action which shows virtue and is inherently good.)

Each deities church can tell you a few Mitzvahs and Sins, and these earn extra virtue for followers of that faith. (Though with Evil/Chaotic deities they're going to be BACKWARDS for that alignment: and for True Neutral faiths all mixed up in such a way as to keep worshipers 'neutral' in alignment...)

As examples:
    Sarenrae (C[?]/G): Redeem a person fallen to Evil: ([1d2 Per level of the redeemed person] + [1d5 if they were a member of an Evil deity's clergy] + [1d5 if you convert them to sincere worship of a Good deity.]) +1d10 Mitzvah On the Good/Evil Axis

Amusdius (L/E): Breaking A Contract: ([1d2 per level you possess] × 2 If you are a member of Amusdius Clergy) + 1d5 Sin on the Law/Chaos Axis.

Pazuzu (C/E): Sacrifice a sapient being to your God: [(1d5 Per HD of the sacrifice) x (2 if the sacrifice was Good) x (1.5 if the sacrifice was the cleric of a rival god/goddess) × (0.5 if the sacrifice was Evil)] + 1d10 'Mitzvah'* on the Good/Evil axis.
    *(Reminder, Evil and/or Chaotic gods call Mitzvahs and Sins the opposite thing in their 'holy' books on those alignments.)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. bastardlydastard

Fair enough. I probably should have worded it as "He does not hurt people he thinks are innocent."

RadioGalaxy likes this.
  10. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

That's alright, the scenes don't need to be very realistic or convincing, as long as the game is fun.

I should probably give Syleen some sort of background. For example this:
    This leaves things ambigous enough to allow her to meet people from her past (such as a girl she seduced, or a husband that caught her in bed with his wife), but at the same time does not make it necessary to get anyone from her past involved.

Description:

RadioGalaxy and bastardlydastard like this.
  11. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

She's pretty much ready now. Maybe some cosmetic changes...

bastardlydastard and RadioGalaxy like this.
  12. RadioGalaxy

Gunna give Keria the monk archetype:
    Monk of the Healing Hand

No stat changes or anything of import besides a couple feat replacements, one at level 7 (a terrible heal), one at level 11 (a good revive), and one at level 20 (The hypest shit I ever read.)

I'm really only going with this because it easily fits her character, and there's no reason not to :p

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/cor...zo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-healing-hand

13. GenericEditor168

My order of the Dragon gives a pretty nasty Level 15 skill: Act as One (For a standard action for the cavalier, the cavalier and all characters within 30 feet may move up to their normal movement rate and then attack, for free, and gaining the charge advantage if they qualify, plus a +2 to hit and a +2 dodge bonus to AC.)

But I've got to say "Kill your character permanently to ressurect all allies within fifty feet, without the penalties usually associated with ressurection" is nasty.

RadioGalaxy likes this.
  14. RadioGalaxy

I know right? You even get erased from HISTORY and your name disappears from anything written or remembered and not even the gods can change that. Thats some hype shit. :p

15. bastardlydastard

Damn, that's pretty hardcore.

RadioGalaxy likes this.
  16. Nemo of Utopia

17. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

While witch has a limit of number of spells she can cast a day, does this rule apply to number of hexes she can cast? Or there is no limit in casting hexes?

18. Nemo of Utopia

Each hex is typically self limited in some way: such as "healing" only working on each individual target once per day. (Theoretically this makes a coven of witches with the healing hex the best triage healers available for very large groups such as mercenary units, but I digress.)

19. Nemo of Utopia

I now must mention, in this game natural ones and twenties are not auto success or failure on skill checks, however they do impose a further -10/+10, meaning that you can score in the negative numbers at low levels...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    RadioGalaxy likes this.
  20. Nemo of Utopia

I need to mention now that we are using a modified version of the "This Old Rule: Diplomacy" Rules by Rich Berlew, which can be found by a quick Google search. The one change to them is that as this is 3.75 instead of 3.0 and there are no synergy bonuses any more we change the base dificulty from 15+LVL+WIS bonus to 5+Total HD+WIS bonus.

These rules are also applicable to some uses of Bluff, Intimidate, Handle Animal, Perform, and most uses of Sex Appeal.

Under this system almost all interactions are treated as an exchange of some sort, you are asking for something and offering something in recompense, even if you are "offering" only a chance to feel good for having helped someone... (If, say, you ask a stranger on the street for directions to the local temple or the like.)

I then decide if the person has a positive, neutral or negative relationship with you and if the benefit of what you are offering is greater or less than the risks of agreeing to your request/demand or believing your story, and by HOW MUCH, then I modify the base DC by a set amount based on these results.

TL/DR: Just to sum up the rules we are using: almost all interactions are treated as an exchange of some sort, I decide if you have a positive, negative, or neutral relationship with the person who you are asking, and if the cost/benefit analysis of your proposed action is good or bad for them, and modify the DC accordingly...

moonblack likes this.