Lois Lane's Night Out

Discussion in 'Story Feedback' started by Zeebop, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

I could end these branches in a paragraph and get the same number of likes...

...but that just wouldn't be me.

2. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

6,666 chapters.

Whee.

Going to try and finish Bad Sex in October, so updates on LLNO might slow down a bit.

3. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

4. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Somewhere north of 200 chapters left to write - probably more, as likes come in. Still trying to balance LLNO and Good Sex, which is going slow. But we continue to grind on. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes 7,000 chapters, way things are going. But probably less than 7,500. Having said that, I've probably jinxed it. But WE SHALL SEE.

5. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Writing's been a little slow this month, but working on it. Latest chapters haven't been attracting much attention, but that makes sense when you think about it: these are the branches being capped off because they failed to generate sufficient interest for sequels. Still, it's nice to have endings for these branches, even if a bit abrupt, instead of just leaving them dangling.

6. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

For the morbidly curious, wondering how the chapters pan out:

Chapter: # of chapters
    1: 1
    2: 7
    3: 16
    4: 25
    5: 37
    6: 58
    7: 96
    8: 165
    9: 225
    10: 281
    11: 325
    12: 356
    13: 294
    14: 455
    15: 515
    16: 535
    17: 553
    18: 573
    19: 625
    20: 779
    21: 302
    22: 156
    23: 86
    24: 53
    25: 39
    26: 22
    27: 14
    28: 11
    29: 6
    30: 5
    31: 4
    32: 4
    33: 4
    34: 2
    35: 1
    36: 1

For a total of 6,732.

Maybe not the best-written chapters, but quantity has a quality all of its own.

7. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Sorry things have been so slow, just...lot of real-life stuff happening now.

8. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Sorry this has been so slow lately, real life continues.

Been seeing a lot fewer likes lately, which makes sense. I DO try to accommodate suggestions and requests, and post as regularly as I can to keep the interest up, but the focus is on winding up the least-popular branches as the whole thing is slowly winding down, so that has an effect on the whole thing.

Plus, I think the size of LLNO intimidates new readers.

TheLowKing likes this.
  9. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

I know updates are slow these days but real life has been kicking me in the ass. Had to replace a laptop, lost some files. That's never fun.

10. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

2023 began with Lois Lane's Night Out at 5,921 chapters.
    2023 ends with Lois Lane's Night Out at 6,895 chapters.

Honestly thought I'd be done by now, but there's still a bit more left to do. Haven't quite hit my writing goals this year either. It's been nuts. But, we persevere. Here's hoping at least a few folks enjoy it and the writing isn't all crap.

11. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Out of morbid curiosity, do folks prefer longer ending chapters or shorter ending chapters?

I tend to veer toward longer, as I like to wrap up what I can and give a satisfying ending, and the shorter the path to the ending is the longer that seems to take sometimes.

TheLowKing likes this.
  12. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

I'd also say longer.

It's the last chapter, so reader who aren't into the subject matter can just ditch it without risking missing out on crucial story beats. And those that are into it will get an double helping, yum.

Zeebop likes this.
  13. exxxidor456

exxxidor456 Virgin

I always like longer threads in general. Especially endings, which have things to wrap up.

Zeebop likes this.
  14. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Hit another little milestone. Slowly but surely wrapping things up. There are currently 6,936 chapters, and 187 end chapters left to write. Trying to manage a steady 2-3 chapters a day, but endings take longer and real life is still...hectic.

With likes, the total number of chapters will almost certainly be higher, but since these are closing off the least-popular branches and not many people are doing archive binges, I expect LLNO to drop down in the ratings over the next month. Such is life.

TheLowKing likes this.
  15. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Well, it happened. Slipped down to #9 in the Top Ten list. But that's okay. It's not a contest. Chapters continue to be written and published. Closing in on 7,000 chapters.

huginn and TheLowKing like this.
  16. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Chapter 7,000 posted.

Writing is slow as molasses, but the story isn't done yet! A lot of completed branches, though. Just imagine if this was a fandom folks were actually invested in!

huginn and TheLowKing like this.
  17. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Dropped off a bit because of real life, but now that the writing on Good Sex is done, I'm back to the grind.

I think - and this is going to be weird for a story where the longest branch length is less than 40 chapters - that Lois Lane's Night Out has gone on too long, and most of the audience for it has moved on. Haven't had a proper archive binge in ages. But a part of that is also the determined effort on my part to wrap up the long-orphaned branches.

18. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Still really behind on...everything...but hey, there are now over 800 branches that have reached the full 20 chapters!

19. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Sorry for the slowdown lately; really want to finish this but real life has been a hassle and the motivation to write has been low lately.

On the other hand, we've broached bold new kinks lately.

TheLowKing likes this.
  20. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Another apologetic post, but while the writing has slowed down, we are getting closer to an end.