Most typical feedback patterns

Discussion in 'CHYOA General' started by Hvast, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Hvast

Hvast Really Really Experienced

• I favorite your story and you'll never get another notification from me.
    • I like the introduction chapter and you'll also never get any other notification from me.
    • I bookmark each and every dead end in the story, clearly expressing my hope that you will continue.
    • I do the same as above but with likes.
    • I do the same as in the two above but only for a single branch I liked.
    • I like a random chapter in the middle of some branch with nothing special in it (have fun wondering if it is a misclick or a genuine like).
    • I am one of your followers and I'll make you warm inside by liking every new chapter you add anywhere no matter the story, genre, length, or content.
    • I am following the story and leave likes in new chapters when they appear If I do like them.
    • I am letting you know that I just found this story and am reading all of it by liking every chapter in it. Yes all 100 of them. In an hour. Don't ask how.
    • I never like but I do leave short requests on how to continue in comments treating you as WriteEroticaILikeGPT. Usually, it is a niche fetish you never showed any interest in.
    Did I miss any major ones?

Jaegarblk and Zeebop like this.
  2. Jaegarblk

Jaegarblk Experienced

Lol. Brilliant. Previously I have only added Chapters to public stories now I am seeing the full joys of this with my first story I have published Star Ravishers

https://chyoa.com/story/Star-Ravishers.60957

No comments yet but pretty much all of the rest.

I have also seen favouriting the story & book marking a bunch of Chapters, including updated Chapters (so they are coming back) but no likes which has got me scratching my head a little.

Encouraging Comments is missing from the list.

My branches of Breeding Day at the Mall I get regular encouraging comments which is nice.

Also, perhaps controversial, but liking all of your chapters in a linear branch apart from the one which develops the story and clearly sets up the next scene which is a sex scene.

3. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

I used to get hundreds of notifications a day, but the enthusiasm for LLNO has died down. Still, the one thing that's weird to me is when some folks will bookmark a bunch of chapters, but not like them. Because the bookmarks don't affect whether I write any more in a particular branch, but likes do. Which is clearly advertised. So it goes.

I kinda like the comments with suggestions for the next chapter. Sure, I may not get to it (see above notice about likes), but at least it's a level of engagement with the text. Sometimes I see them as challenges.

MisterMan1965 and Jaegarblk like this.
  4. Hvast

Hvast Really Really Experienced

Well, there is nothing weird in bookmarking but not liking. Bookmark will give you a notification when something is added. I would love to have an ability to see how many bookmarks a chapter has.

As for the requests. I generally like them and often respond to such comments. There are also few chapters here and there that exist because of such requests. It is a good indication that people care about what I write. But sometimes there is just too much audacity in them

5. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

I never got quite that many, but that's why I turned like and bookmark notifications off. I'm not wading through that every time I visit CHYOA.

Love comments, though. Almost always reply to them.

6. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

In the case of Lois Lane's Night Out, the issue is that if you *don't* like a chapter, there won't *be* a next chapter until I have to cap off the loose branch for lack of likes!

Jaegarblk likes this.
  7. MisterMan1965

MisterMan1965 Virgin

Very much this. I love when a reader is engaged enough to either suggest or speculate on what happens next. I've gotten some good ideas from both, and better insight into what about a chapter or branch is appealing to the reader who comments.

8. Dansak

Dansak Really Really Experienced

The only I think you missed is the like and comment every chapter, I've got one or two who do that and I'm eternally grateful that they do.

I admit to being swayed by likes. If a story I enjoy writing bombs with very low likes I'll probably not continue it, where as if one I don't enjoy so much does well I'll continue with it so I can get my fix of likes. Comments are my favorite though, especially when they show that someone has picked on some subtle hidden plot twist I spent hours working on and thought nobody would notice.

Zeebop likes this.
  9. Dissonant Soundtrack

Dissonant Soundtrack Really Really Experienced

No, the best is when they start speculating about some forthcoming twist and it's way better than what you had planned.

"Uhhhh...yes, dear reader... you have uncovered my genius plan."

Dansak, Zeebop and Hvast like this.
  10. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

• I send you (and everyone else) a message asking you to contibute to my story.

11. Dansak

Dansak Really Really Experienced

This has totally never happened to me. Honest.

12. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Shit, I used to do that all the time when gming. If the players come up with a better theory than whatever you plotted, you congratulate them and roll with it. They feel clever for working it out, and you look awesome for giving them their due.

Jaegarblk likes this.
  13. MisterMan1965

MisterMan1965 Virgin

Yeah, that's GMing 101. If the players have a better idea, go with it. Or sometimes, if they theorize something much worse for themselves than you had planned, that can work, too.

"Stop giving the GM ideas," is regularly heard around my gaming table.

14. Jaegarblk

Jaegarblk Experienced

Schrodingers Plot we used to call it. Also related to the Quantum Ogre.

15. I tend to be the opposite. Since in my head I plan out stories so far in advance I usually only adopt very small elements recommended by readers, rather than major plot changes. But I do find that a lot of character recommendations I receive are typically ones I've already got in the waiting area.

But I do enjoy when readers comment on what they think will happen. And I'm very happy when they're actually right - although I don't tell them that!

Jaegarblk and Dansak like this.