Multi-language story

Discussion in 'Story Ideas' started by mindtheMILF, Apr 19, 2017.

1. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

Has there ever been a successful story that uses two or more languages? Examples would be dutch, english, french, german, russian, and etc... Crossing that border to allow international members and readers to collaborate or have a connection to English speaking members.

Zingiber likes this.
  2. Javalar

Javalar Really Experienced

How would you do this?

3. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

Good question Javalar. I was thinking either a translator or foreign exchange student visit at first. Then I thought what about a world traveler who is experiencing different languages through their travels. Even if it is one location or multiple locations along the way. Many possibilities when one thinks about it.

DoAdventures likes this.
  4. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

I've never seen this done, but it might be able to be a thing...

5. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

If it is actually written in two languages, the number of potential readers decrease drastically. (except the primary target audience's language isn't English but the second language is)

6. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

What about when someone speaks in another tongue outside of English it is translated to English in the following chapter. Of course saying this there are words in other languages that there is no word in English for or vice versa. Something to ponder some more...

7. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

So if you don't understand both languages, you would have to read the first chapter not quite understanding the content and getting the translation within the next chapter?
    I think that would impede the reading flow.

8. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

What about a conversation within a chapter. Say one character is a translator for two other people. One speaking English and another speaking another language. I think I'm starting to figure it out a good story idea.

9. dingsdongs

dingsdongs Really Really Experienced

I think that i would not enjoy skipping over several paragraphs of a different language all the time in most chaptets, even if its translated later. And if i don't understand it, i would have no other choice.

I agree with the assessment, that this concept would limit the amount of readers.

But: If you want to attempt it, and have fun while writing it, go for it!

gene.sis likes this.
  10. Loeman

Loeman Really Really Experienced

Any story, well written, is worth writing. It will find some readership, given time and at least a little light so people can find it.

That said what you're describing sounds difficult for readers to follow and, unless you have good reason (erotic, aesthetic, cultural) for doing it, might simply be gimmicky - and gimmicks that limit exposure and understanding rather than increase either are generally not advisable.

gene.sis likes this.
  11. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

I will put it in the back burner and look at in the future. For now I will focus on other ideas.

12. spentbob

spentbob Experienced

Just an idea that occurred to me while reading this thread - how about a story where the protagonist somehow ends up alone in a foreign country, so most of the people he meets speak a different language to them, maybe having to pretend to speak the language for some reason. As an example, the protagonist is English and he's stranded in Germany, so while the main text - his first or second person narration - is in english, anyone he meets can only speak German. There's some fun things you could do with that set up, I think, wether you know the secondary language or not. A couple of examples -

* A girl says something to the protagonist which he thinks sounds like a come-on, but he isn't sure - he has to decide what action to take.

* The protagonist needs to try to ask a girl for directions, the player is presented with a few sentences in German as their end-of-chapter-options. Only ones the correct translation, the others will embarrass the protagonist with his poor German, or have him accidentally insult her or something.

* A girl who seems keen on the protagonist asks him something in German, clearly expecting a yes or no answer. Is she asking you to screw her brains out, or to marry her?

So in the first example, if you know no German, you have to guess if she is flirting with the protagonist or insulting him and which option to pick, if you know a little German you might be able to pick out enough words to make an educated guess, if you're fluent, you know more than the protagonist and can cause him to make the smart or stupid choice as it amuses you.

Does that make sense at all?

I don't think it's what mindtheMILF had in mind, the idea just popped into my head and I thought I'd share.

DoAdventures likes this.
  13. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

What's funny is that I heard once that German words are anal or sound about something to do with anal. Though the concept does work. Will have to look further into it then previously thought.

Setting is WWII. British solider is captured by one of those women who try to seduce the opposing side with kind words of betrayal. Dieselpunk theme. Sexual acts that he thought would be for his own pleasure are turned around against him. Being anally abused in all sorts of unspeakable ways. Perhaps even consider bringing in a Soviet spy into the fold. Lots to consider

Thanks spentbob!

14. spentbob

spentbob Experienced

Haha, well, I was just suggesting German as a random example, it could be any language/country. I like your idea for the story and setting though, I could well be interested in contributing to a story like that!

mindtheMILF likes this.
  15. Javalar

Javalar Really Experienced

Well, I am happy to help out with any German vocabulary. ;)

mindtheMILF likes this.
  16. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Another way I could imagine would be to use proper grammar of the foreign language and replacing single words with the English equivalent.

Maybe some of the women know some English and use it that way.

You could also teach the reader repeatedly used words of the foreign language as he can imagine that this word, used in several situations, must have that meaning. (shouldn't be overused)
    (If the women already know some English this may mainly occur when she isn't talking to him directly)
    In that case, it could be good to use the onomatopoeic spelling of these words. (for words like cock, pussy, fuck me, harder, and so on)

mindtheMILF likes this.