When your first draft of a chapter is 3200 words and you really can't split it up

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by wilparu, Jun 13, 2022.

1. wilparu

wilparu Really Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

2. wilparu

Just kidding just kidding! After I edited the draft I brought the word count down to... 3500 words what the actual fuck?! And I just said fuck it and posted it like that? Damn.

3. Dissonant Soundtrack

Dissonant Soundtrack Really Really Experienced

I was all set to tease you and then I realized my next one was 4500. So instead I salute you for your brevity and efficiency.

wilparu likes this.
  4. wilparu

Damn I'm like Hemingway compared to you. :D

Dissonant Soundtrack likes this.
  5. CurvyLinesEverywhere

CurvyLinesEverywhere Really Experienced

Don't aspire to be like Hemmingway. Dude was brief in all aspects of his life, if you know what I mean, not just his writing.

wilparu likes this.
  6. Aman Onfy Mous

Aman Onfy Mous Really Experienced

I had trouble with this as well, until I discovered the meaning of life, the universe, and chapter transitions:

1) The follow up question field is evil. Leave it blank. You don't need to have a question or choice to end your chapter. The amount of time I wasted before realizing this...geez.
    2) With the right chapter title (the answer field), you can transition almost anywhere. Just make the next thing that happens into the title, and you won't disrupt the flow of the story, even if the transition is in the middle of a bunch of action. This is good, since my stories appear to be about 90% stuff happening the entire time, no filler. I suppose you could argue that if you don't actually pause the story at the transition, why bother transitioning at all, and that's a valid question, to which I don't have an answer.

7. CurvyLinesEverywhere

CurvyLinesEverywhere Really Experienced

More regular updates makes the numbers go up.