Costructive criticism: does really anyone want it?

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by SeriousBrainDamage, Jul 19, 2022.

Tags:
  1. IWannaSpankGirls

IWannaSpankGirls Experienced

Oh, that would work.

Maybe, but I've seen a lot of writers, often the ones claiming to have written a masterpiece and but it on something like Archive of our Own or Fanfiction.net, make that claim. "Oh, you so totally were supposed to find that character I kept shilling for annoying." I usually find myself very skeptical about it.

Not the best but better than nothing. It still passes for beginner level writing.

GamerChick077 and Unknown7 like this.
  2. Cuchuilain

Cuchuilain Guest

Yeah - I like poetry like that - the worse it is the better:

• A chicken is a noble beast,

• The cow is much forlorner;

• Standing in the pouring rain,

• With a leg at every corner.

3. SeriousBrainDamage

SeriousBrainDamage Really Really Experienced

Beautiful!

Cuchuilain likes this.
  4. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

I think those are the people least likely to accept criticism anyway, because it demands a lot of openness and vulnerability, and a lot of people just aren't capable of it. I don't mean that as a put-down or anything, because taking criticism is hard. You've poured blood, sweat, and tears into your art, no matter if it's bad or good. It's your baby, and deep down you're always hoping that it'll be received as a masterpiece for the ages. Hearing that perhaps, maybe, possibly, it's not the paragon of perfection you've attempted to craft always hurts. It does me, at least, right there in the ego. Ow. It takes time to get over that gut reaction, and responding before you've soothed your wounded pride is probably a bad idea.

Actually, that's a great related question for y'all: say you've asked for constructive criticism, and you've gotten a bunch of replies with comments and recommendations, some good, some not so good. The best comments, of course, are from the couple of people who helpfully suggested you just toss out your modern erotic thriller, and rewrite it from scratch as a largely plotless isekai story set in a universe where <their fetish> is normal and <their favorite character from another story> does whatever they want.

How do you proceed? Do you respond, giving reasons and justifications for why you made the choices you did? Do you simply say thank you and work through it on your own? Do you run away and go live in the woods out of sheer embarrassment? What do you do with feedback you're ignoring, and what with feedback you're incorporating?

5. Gambio

Gambio CHYOA Guru

So, this comes purely from doing Marcie and Gina segments.

From my experience doing what the readers wants almost always results in a weaker storyline.

That's because most readers don't care for narrative cohesion and just want sexy stuff.

That's fine if your goal is to write pure smut.

But I saw quite a few authors with a decent plot ask the readers what they want to happen next and the result is, to put it in Gina's words. "Absolute garbage!"

Iam_DickMan, Cuchuilain and gene.sis like this.
  6. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

While I've heard that quite often, I'm actually not sure if that's the right way.
    It feels like the first part might please the author and make them let their guard down completely before the second part hits them in a vulnerable state and hammers them into the ground.

7. Miriam

Miriam Experienced

Well, you can turn the order around. There's certainly something to be said for ending on a high note. The important part is to mention the positives too, or you'll hammer them into the ground either way.

8. Unknown7

Unknown7 Really Experienced

Just don't tell them they're a bad person for writing it or that their passion is some immoral act that "hurts" others. That can seriously mess someone up real bad.

9. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

After googling about mixing criticism with compliments, I feel the feedback should either be criticism or a compliment.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  10. Miriam

Miriam Experienced

Hm, from a personal standpoint I strongly disagree. But I suppose different people deal differently with feedback and criticism.

I'm still interested on what you based that decision, however. I've done courses in giving and receiving feedback (company-related) and 'mention the positives' was always brought forward as a best practice. My own online research seemed to confirm this.

I also fail to see how mentioning something positive before criticism is considered 'hammering them into the ground' but staying entirely negative isn't.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    Cuchuilain likes this.
  11. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

If you criticize, you go from 0 to -10.
    If you compliment, you go from 0 to 10, and with the following criticism, you go from 10 to -10.

So if you are high in the air, the crash might be harder.

The search term basically is "sandwich criticism". Though it might not be exactly the same if you only have one layer of each.

Cuchuilain and Miriam like this.
  12. Miriam

Miriam Experienced

That explanation makes sense to me, and I see where you're coming from. Still, speaking entirely from my own experience (and low self-confidence) I have found that I'll respond much more positively to criticism if it isn't altogether negative. To me, mentioning something positive besides shows that someone has some appreciation for the time and effort I put in, and wishes to help improve it. At the very least, it gives me the impression that someone is acting from a position of empathy, rather than it feeling like some random stranger dropping in to deliver criticism just because they had a bad day. I'm obviously much more willing to indulge the former.

Again, different people react differently to criticism. There's obviously no single solution to perfectly delivering criticism to each and every person, but take my experience for what you will.

The sandwich method of delivering feedback is indeed what I've been taught as the ideal way to deliver criticism if you want to be considerate of someone's feelings. But I suppose this is usually reserved for internal company feedback where you want to keep an amiable working relationship with your colleague afterwards. It might not apply equally to an anonymous online environment like CHYOA, and is also a bit high on effort if you apply it each time you want to make a quick remark.

Edit: If I google 'Sandwich criticism' I indeed see a lot of articles criticizing it in a variety of sarcastic ways, but their main argument seems to be that in a working environment people may not take the criticism part seriously enough (when coupled with compliments this way) in order to change their behavior when desired. Which could obviously be bad for overall job performance. Fair enough.

But I think for CHYOA especially it's safer to steer on the side of not trying to offend someone. People aren't getting paid to put in the effort, and aren't obliged to incorporate your feedback or adapt their story to your wishes anyway. Which is why coupling criticism with something positive still seems like a very suitable approach to me here; more so if your main concern is that you might offend someone by delivering it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  13. Dissonant Soundtrack

Dissonant Soundtrack Really Really Experienced

I didn't really address this point in my first post, but I should mention this since it's CHYOA: Any criticism is going to land much harder if it is delivered publicly. Regardless of how you sandwich or phrase a critique it may be best to do it in a DM. Comments should probably be positive only. CHYOA comments are all but permanent, so even if the writer addresses your criticism directly and satisfies everything you want - the complaint is still sitting there on their chapter until the end of days.

14. Warden-Yarn15

Warden-Yarn15 Really Really Experienced

By no means have I ever felt qualified to write anything intellectual, and this extends to literature, but I'll give in my two cents.

From what I've seen, there are a few types of people in this world:

1) Those who gladly accept criticism.
    2) Those who are afraid of criticism and react negatively to it (whether mentally or aggressively).
    3) Those who could not care less.

The First Group are, to be honest, quite difficult to find. The most reliable way to know that people are open to criticism, is when they tell you that they're open to criticism and appreciate yours. Telling an author of what you think about their story is a coin flip, not unless you just say how much you love it without putting a reason why, that usually invigorates people to keep on going.

The Second Group tends to be the kind of people I run into when I do post some constructive criticism. I think I have made some people delete their works simply by posting what I thought of their works.

I think I myself would collapse at a bad review of my works and forfeit continuation of the story if they have nothing much to say except point out the many problems my i̶n̶s̶e̶c̶u̶r̶i̶t̶i̶e̶s̶ brain somehow missed, as well as confirming the poor decisions I've made while writing, wondering if anyone's ever going to catchup.

Lastly, The Third Group simply doesn't give a fuck.

I've been told a lot in this forum that one should simply write for themselves and try to ignore what others think, as long as you (the author) think it's fine and dandy. They may say thanks, they may ignore you, but they'll keep on going, which is probably the kinds of people folks should look up to, and probably the most mentally healthy. Their quality varies, however, with some simply indulging in their own fetishes, not caring if anybody likes their work or not, and those who create grand stories but doesn't really communicate with their readers.

15. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Well, I guess criticism should never be negative but rather constructive.
    If I criticize someone's actions at work, I don't really care that they haven't done it in the best way. I rather want to improve the situation overall.

Well, delivery can make quite a difference.
    The latter can't really be considered criticism but rather a rant of an authoritarian leader.
    If you use a participative leadership style, the criticized person might already understand what your motives are and won't take it personally anyway.

Here, it might actually be different as you're not a team at all.
    So I still have conflicting opinions on this.
    (Though I would still prefer to put criticism first.)

To address this, it might be advantageous to only offer small pieces of criticism to make the author improve instead of giving them a full-blown lesson that might overwhelm them.

16. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

Agreed, and I'm kind of shocked we haven't brought this up before!

Even the most insightful feedback isn't going to convert a first time writer into Tolstoy overnight. Pick out a couple of things to improve, and ignore everything else. I tend to write out feedback for half a dozen different things, just to get it out of my system, and then only submit one larger and one smaller thing, deleting everything else. Remember: giving feedback is for them. The process isn't about you.

17. Iam_DickMan

Iam_DickMan Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

Hey! I resemble that remark!

18. Gambio

Gambio CHYOA Guru

Hah, don't worry you aren't the first author where I made that observation.

I think the only way it can work is with a very rigid structure. Marcie and Gina did have a few stories featured who succeeded in that like Tower of Voices, or the Submission Accelerator

Incidentally, engin actually did a review on Advanced Fantasy a while back, thought I mentioned it in case you missed it

19. Iam_DickMan

Iam_DickMan Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

I hadn’t seen it so thanks for the heads up.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  20. remysloane

remysloane Experienced

I like all useful criticism, which I think can be constructive or not. I don't think they are the same thing. If people want to mercilessly troll me with negativity, as long as they are honest and specific, bring it on.