Is it better to attempt to write believeable characters, or perfect self-inserts?

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by Warden-Yarn15, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Warden-Yarn15

Warden-Yarn15 Really Really Experienced

I understand that stories, like humans, are complex and context of the situation is important. I can see where one kind of character fits one story, and the other fits another story, but I'd like a more general opinion right about now.

Is it better to write a somewhat believable character? Say I'm writing for a MILF or Teen story, and the character I'm writing isn't a sex god that can bang anyone he wants, but a lad in a 9 to 5 job or student trying to his best to make a living.

And though the situation may be irregular in day to day life, how people would respond could be believable...

or should I try writing a lad that's almost perfect in every way, with a big dick, lots of money and time in the world, and charisma so unbelievable to the characters in the story (and not necessarily the reader), any woman he meets jumps on him sooner or later?

Sorta like Duke Nukem.

And like I said prior, I do understand that sometimes, the type of story is really dependent on how a character should be, but I would like to know the consensus on how a character, protagonist or otherwise, is preferred.

wilparu likes this.
  2. android1966

android1966 Really Experienced

Personally, over powered characters seem boring as a protagonist. It's the weaknesses that often make things interesting.

3. Aman Onfy Mous

Aman Onfy Mous Really Experienced

My recommendation is to avoid describing the protagonist at all, unless you have to. If I'm not supposed to be attracted to the protagonist, why do I care what they look like? Better off leaving it vague, and the reader can easily self-insert.

If their attractiveness (or lack thereof) is critical to the story, then you don't have a choice, but in that case you also already know what they look like, so problem solved.

gene.sis and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  4. Dissonant Soundtrack

Dissonant Soundtrack Really Really Experienced

There's only a story if the protagonist wants something and can't immediately have it. Either its something beyond their ability or its something their abilities cannot help with. You can have a superhuman stud as your protag, but the story needs to be about the one woman immune to his charm, or the consequences of banging everyone he sees, or something similar.

5. Warden-Yarn15

Warden-Yarn15 Really Really Experienced

You know, adding to my own discussions, I did follow a belief that it's better to write your characters first, then have the world revolve around them.

By this, I theorized that people would care about the story more, if they cared about the characters more. While having relatable isn't always possible as I put aspects of myself in each of my characters, and I'm not the most relatable person in most circles, I like to think that, whatever my characters are doing, this is what a sane and functional member of society would do.

Whatever "would do" means.

For example, recently I wrote a small prompt to share with a friend. While he liked it, I don't believe what she says, or what she does, is what something a young adult woman would do or say (as for the man, the context is, he's from another world where she died, and he believes she's been reincarnated. I also wrote him to be dense and a military man of sorts).

On the rooftop of an unexceptional apartment lied two people, two young adults, near the edge of the building, though a fall wouldn't constitute a broken bone, much less death.

"You really think I'm pretty?" The Brunette Woman scoffed in disbelief, an arm stretching backwards so she could lean back and stare at the dark sky before shaking her head.

The man with a field cap, from another dimension no less, was still uncomfortable with the clothes he had on, and was a little offended at her disbelief, "You're in all of the propaganda reels and posters back in ou-" Remembering that she was still skeptical about his story, the man stuttered in an attempt to fix his sentence, "My, my world. Every boy practically had a crush on you."

"Huh," the woman stopped to think, "I guess there is an alternative universe where people do love me... and that's kinda nice. And it only takes some place that probably doesn't even exist."

Standing up to force her vision on him, the man stood up and blocked the starry night, "Surely you're kidding me." Both arms stretched to point at her, "Have you checked a mirror lately, Princess?"

"Look, , maybe in another world," Standing up herself, the brunette woman stared down at the man, more frustrated than annoyed, as indicated by her scowl, "if I can even believe you, I'm some kind of princess-admiral-daughter-of -the-emperor. But weeelcoooome to my world, where I'm just Maya Tan, with two adoptive Asian parents and a shitty minimum wage job." Grabbing his hoodie and leaning in closer, she made sure that not only was Maya loud, but that her new friend could only look at her, "And buddy, that's the only life I know, got that?"

It was his turn to shake his head in disgust, "What happened to you? Why do you think so lowly of yourself? It's not humility at this point but self-deprecation."

"Maybe it's because there's nothing in this world to look forward to, and there's nothing about me that's so great." though she meant what she said, a few tears did form in her eyes, "And who the hell are you to tell me that I'm some kind of important princess?" Then she began shaking him, "Why? Why do you think I'm so great when there's obviously something wrong with that stupid head of yours?"

"Because we've failed you once, and I don't want the dishonor of losing you again, much less be in this horrible situation you're in." And Maya chuckled.

"Losing me? I am in a dead-end job, trying to pay off college debt, just to get more money to get in college again, and absolutely nobody in this world can give a single damn about me. Buddy, I'm just waiting for the Reaper to take me away after I OD."

"If I can convince you a single person cares, will you finally stop thinking that everything's wrong with you?"

"As if you can do that." With Maya already holding unto her friend's shoulders, the next few steps were quite easy.

The man simply pulled her head closer and welded each other's lips with one another. Though there was a welp from the Brunette, something in her mind said that this was quite comforting and simply closed her eyes - one of her legs curved by instinct.

After another second, she realized something and woke up. Yelping once more, Maya pushed the man away, and rather than hold onto her some more, the man let go and let himself fall alone.

Not a second sooner, Maya looked down from the ledge, "Clancy! I'm so sorry, are you ok?"

She immediately got a thumbs up, "Are you convinced that somebody cares for you? Or do I need to jump off another building?"

She shook her head and bit her lower lip before responding, "If I tell you no on both accounts, will you jump off another building?"

The man was silent, staring intently at the woman, "Perhaps."

6. Cuchuilain

Cuchuilain Guest

I think its always better to have a fleshed out character where possible, not necessarily one that one can relate to though. Just one that is recognisable and understandable. Then its more interesting to see what (mis)adventures they get involved in.
    I kind of agree with you on the lack of interest in a sex god who can bang anyone. However, may I point out the epic of Gilgamesh, where Gilgamesh was exactly that, Superman with an over-active cock, screwing every woman in the land. All goes well with him, until his nemesis(Enkidu) appears, a kind of Doomsday/Wolverine/Hulk character that Gilgamesh cant beat. So he falls into the class of story that dissonant soundtrack describes now that he cant have everything. Gilgamesh has to resort to throwing hookers at him. Gilgamesh isnt really fleshed out as a character until he loses his total god-like status and unbeatability.
    It was written a long time ago though and maybe isn't totally reflective of current CHYOA themes.

insertnamehere and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  7. wilparu

wilparu Really Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

As a devastatingly handsome but still humble and charming man with an above average package, a hugely successful job, the acclaim of my peers, and the clean karma of a future saint I have no idea what your question is even asking.

8. Aman Onfy Mous

Aman Onfy Mous Really Experienced

And so modest! How do you do it?

Cuchuilain, wilparu and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  9. wilparu

wilparu Really Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

Simple: I'm exceedingly modest about my prodigious gifts, even my rockstar charisma.

Dansak and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  10. Dansak

Dansak Really Really Experienced

I think that it's character flaws that make a character believable. Look at any famous character and they'll have a flaw of some kind. If you miss the flaws out then the character becomes very flat and boring. But a character doesn't always have to have an arc or evolve to be interesting. Static characters do not change through the course of the story, they are the same person at the end as the beginning. Dynamic characters go through a change and become different person at the end of the story.
    Take the examples of Sherlock Holmes and Katniss Everdeen as classic static characters who do not change, and Scrooge and Anakin Skywalker as dynamic characters who are vastly different at the end of the story. All those characters though have their flaws though.

wilparu, Cuchuilain and Warden-Yarn15 like this.