User script: hide stories posted by certain authors

Discussion in 'CHYOA General' started by TheLowKing, Nov 18, 2022.

1. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

Tired of seeing authors posting stories you're just not interested in? Maybe you just don't like the way they write, or the fetishes they write about just aren't for you? Then this script is for you! Just fill in the author names near the top of the script, and you're good to go.

Code:
    // ==UserScript==
    // @name     CHYOA: Hide stories by certain authors
    // @version  1
    // @author   [email protected]
    // @grant    none
    // @match    https://chyoa.com/search?*
    // @match    https://chyoa.com/recently-updated-sex-stories*
    // @match    https://chyoa.com/new-sex-stories*
    // @match    https://chyoa.com/category/*
    // ==/UserScript==

const ignored_authors = [
      "Put-Author-Names",
      "HereLikeThis",
      "Don't forget the commas!",
    ];

if (!document.querySelector('style.tlk.ignore_authors')) {
      document.querySelectorAll('.item-header > small > a').forEach(function(a) {
        const author = a.href.replace(/^https:\/\/chyoa\.com\/user\//,
                                      '').toLowerCase();
        const lower_cased_ignored_authors = ignored_authors.map(function(a) {
          return a.toLowerCase();
        });
        if (lower_cased_ignored_authors .indexOf(author) >= 0) {
          const story_card = a.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;
          story_card.classList.add('tlk',
                                   'ignored_author');
        }
      });

const style = document.createElement('style');
      style.classList.add('tlk',
                          'ignore_authors');
      style.innerHTML = `
    .tlk.ignored_author {
      display: none !important;
    `;
      document.head.appendChild(style);
    }

To use this, you need to install Greasemonkey for Firefox, Tampermonkey for Firefox, or Tampermonkey for Chrome, then choose 'New user script' (or equivalent option) and copy-paste the above code into the window that opens. Don't forget to enter the names of the authors whose stories you want to hide, or it won't do anything!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Unknown7 and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  2. Alibara

Alibara Really Experienced

Can't you just not read the story? This seems a bit much, and I don't know why them merely posting a story is enough to upset you.

3. Gatsha

Gatsha Really Experienced

While this code isn't for me, I do understand the sentiment behind it.

Since this code doesn't in any way tell the writer you have their name blocked, it seems it's not intended as a public shun so much as a way to avoid clicking into stories that have a high probability of not appealing to you or offending you.

Considering the type of site we're on, I get it. We all have different interests/fetishes so if you have a writer you've determined you don't want to see, I find the approach understandable.

Put another way, there are a lot of stories with cover images I've seen that I'd hide if I had the chance. I can ignore them, but if I instead choose just to not see them, is that harming anything?

4. Alibara

It just seems a bit pointless to go something so complicated when you can just not click on it. If you don't think they'll appeal to you, you probably won't be following them or anything, so you shouldn't have get notifications or anything.

5. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

When I scan through new stories to read, I have to spend some effort to see if it's something I might be interested in. Some authors whose stories I've learned don't do it for me are very prolific, and this filters them out for me. It's not a huge deal, nor a huge time-saver, but it was easy enough to hack together, which is something I enjoy doing anyway, and when someone mentioned they had a problem that this would fix, I decided to post it.

Stories that I've favorited aren't covered by this at all.

You don't have to use it, though!

Unknown7 and Cuchuilain like this.
  6. Warden-Yarn15

Warden-Yarn15 Really Really Experienced

LowKing and I had a conversation recently, two messages really, about how some authors are very... active, but their material doesn't really appeal to me.

But as petty as that may sound, the aforementioned authors are quick to publish new stories with no observational improvement by the title or description alone. They seem to be the same stories in nature, or at least, at face value, and they're seen every other day, hence why LowKing offered this user script in my status.

7. Cuchuilain

Cuchuilain Guest

I need to try this.
    It puts me off looking for something to read if I have to wade through most of the stuff by the aforementioned authors.

raziel83 and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  8. Unknown7

Unknown7 Really Experienced

I think it's a good idea. Better than trying to make someone delete their stories.

gene.sis, Warden-Yarn15 and raziel83 like this.
  9. Alibara

I think I might have offended some people. That was not my intention.

10. Cuchuilain

Cuchuilain Guest

You're fine my friend. I don't think anyone is likely to be offended.
    In fact, I think all we're trying to do in this thread is to find ways to enjoy the site more without offending anyone.
    Thelowking's script is a nice accessory to help do just that.

TheLowKing and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  11. Unknown7

It's okay. I didn't mean to come off so strongly. I've just had people go out of their way to make me feel that I had to delete my stories before because they decided it was "wrong" for me to write them. I'm not over that.

TheLowKing and Cuchuilain like this.
  12. Cuchuilain

Cuchuilain Guest

So sorry you had that experience @Unknown7. Trolls suck. I've no idea why anyone would say such a thing but your followers and those who like your stuff think otherwise. Write for them and yourself if and when you like.

Unknown7 and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  13. Unknown7

Thank you, Cuchuilain. I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond.

Alibara likes this.