The future of CHYOA (or at least the funding)

Discussion in 'CHYOA General' started by Friedman, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

2. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

I just spoke to RocketGate and they told me that we don't make enough revenue for a direct merchant account. This is only possible from 10,000-15,000 dollars a month. Below that we need to work with payment processors.

TheLowKing and Kineticat like this.
  3. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

Good news!

SubscribeStar has approved our CHYOA page.

I'll program a direct connection via the API as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I'd really appreciate it if you resubscribe :)

https://subscribestar.adult/chyoa

4. Vestiphile

Vestiphile Experienced CHYOA Backer

I'm IN, boss. You better get me a new badge for this. :D

(I am totally mostly kidding)

MissNix, elmer7780, Kineticat and 2 others like this.
  5. salam123

salam123 Experienced

Chyoa? Not the Fiction Community??

Kineticat, Friedman and MissNix like this.
  6. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

Thank you, Vestiphile! :)

We'll use a payment provider for the Fiction Community without having to go through a separate platform.

SubscribeStar is the only option for CHYOA unless we want to use cryptocurrencies.

Cuchuilain, Kineticat and MissNix like this.
  7. elmer7780

elmer7780 Experienced CHYOA Backer

Subscribed! Here's to hoping this sticks.

MissNix and Friedman like this.
  8. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

Thank you, elmer7780! :)

elmer7780, Kineticat and MissNix like this.
  9. storysmith

storysmith Virgin

Am I able to make a one-off payment?

Last time I think I just paid a year on a disposable card which was useful. It would be great to do that again if this new system supports it.

Kineticat and Friedman like this.
  10. Fangslover

Fangslover Virgin

Good day everyone. I'm considering backing this site shortly. Will a disposable VISA work on SubscriberStar? I don't see any reason why not, but I've never used SubscriberStar before, so just want to be sure before I go put money on a card.

Thanks!

Kineticat and Friedman like this.
  11. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

Thank you! I'm not 100% sure, but one user said that it's possible. So yes.

Thanks! Yes, that should work. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll check with SubscribeStar.

Kineticat likes this.
  12. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

I have completed the SubscribeStar implementation. We now have a nice new page where users can manage their subscription directly. I think that makes it a lot easier.

CHYOA x SubscribeStar: https://chyoa.com/subscribestar

13. Colleem

Colleem Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

In too. Will chose payment later this day. Think it will be the 7. Or do we get two stories hihi kidding

Friedman likes this.
  14. Bauer1

Bauer1 Virgin CHYOA Backer

Just subscribed to the new subscription service :)

Friedman likes this.
  15. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

A big thank you! I appreciate that very much. :)

16. 0hffe

0hffe Virgin

Good to see that SubscribeStar is up and running.
    Just for the sake of not having all our eggs in one basket, I do have another idea that could add a little bit of side income to the site. Though how much and how useful it would be in the grand scheme of things would remain to be seen.

You could pin a story on the main page called something like ''CHYOA writers anthology''
    The intro page of this story would be mostly a disclaimer. Letting people know that any story written under that particular subsection of the site would be considered as a donation to the site and that CHYOA would retain the rights over these particular stories for the sake of republishing. That this would be done towards the ends of financial benefits in favour of CHYOA so that the site may continue to provide its service.

The story would need to be relatively heavily moderated and most likely each author would have to be contacted through DM or other means in order to get confirmation from them that they understand what they are agreeing to when writing there.

Then, once a year, or once every quarter, the stories within that have been developed enough to become a self contained item, would be removed from the site and collated together into a yearly ''CHYOA writers anthology'' E-book that would be sold with the profits going towards funding of the site.

Not sure what peoples thoughts on this might be. But, I reckoned it was worth putting the idea out there at least.

Friedman and gene.sis like this.
  17. Friedman, can we please get an updated list of banned words? I have seen words missing that aren't on that initial list. Apologies if it is available elsewhere that I have missed. I'm not happy about the censorship, but I imagine you are taking it harder than anyone, and I'm sorry this situation is forced on you, with something you have put so much care and time into over so long.

Friedman and Semeny Licket like this.
  18. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

Thanks for the encouraging words! Yes, it's a shame, and I'm not happy with the current situation. I'm trying to find a solution.

Here are the critical terms that are filtered out in the text. I'm open to feedback.

mind-control
    mind control
    reluctance
    reluc
    incest
    non-consent
    non-con
    non- consent
    non consent
    non con
    nonconsent
    dubious consent
    questionable consent
    non-consensual
    reluctant
    rape
    raped
    dub-con
    degrade
    begging to stop
    noncon
    gangrape
    forced
    kidnapping
    mind altering
    blackmail
    slave
    drugged
    drugs
    drug
    alcohol
    booze
    bestiality
    beastiality
    torture
    molest
    murder
    death
    unconscious
    violent
    violence
    non/con
    assault
    assassination
    assassinate
    choking
    choke
    young
    pain
    drunk
    rough
    scared
    no choice
    abducted
    desperate
    vulnerable
    hopeless
    inebriated
    crying
    groping
    coercion
    coerced
    force
    helpless
    children
    child
    revenge
    extreme
    necrophilia
    pedophilia
    pedo
    hypnosis
    hypnotized
    unconcious
    humiliation
    degradation
    abuse

huginn likes this.
  19. zankoo

zankoo Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

So what exactly happens?

My stories are not of the category of what this list is meant to guard against -- but I've definitely used some of the words here in both story text and tags. Of this list, there are some words that have plenty of completely normal connotations:
    booze, drunk, violent, young, pain, scared, rough, hopeless, crying, groping, helpless
    ... even
    child and children
    are legit words for a story without them having to be inappropriate characters.

If these words are in my story or in my tags ... is my story invisible to the public?

More curious than concerned ... really just wondering how this list impact folks who truly aren't pushing the envelope into risky territory.

Thanks!

IdealSimp and huginn like this.
  20. Gambio

Gambio CHYOA Guru

language will ah...find a way

No seriously, people will just either substitute these words are come up with new ones. On youtube the term "unalive" has already entered the vernacular.

I know crying about it won't make a difference, but sheesh, it's all so pointless

Oh pardon, I meant to say "bitching about it"

huginn and TheLowKing like this.