Removing my status on a story I don't own?

Discussion in 'CHYOA General' started by Yabusa, May 7, 2023.

1. Yabusa

Yabusa Experienced

Is there any way I can change my status--namely, remove that status--on a story where I am not an owner? I don't see an option on the My Stories page, or anything on the story itself when I click into it.

There are two recent stories that I'd been added as an author where I don't intend to contribute. It's mostly harmless, and not really a big deal. But even though I've never contributed to them, or even knew one of them existed, they're showing up in the My Stories page on my profile as if I'd added chapters to them.

That feels a little weird to me, kind of like using my profile to advertise a story. I'm not sure if that was the intent, I'm not sure what other reason it would be though since these stories are public. If there was a profile tab that where I could list "you may also like these stories", I'd probably even put those stories in there, but it feels a little weird having them attached to my profile the way they are right now. I can talk to the story owners about it if there's no alternative, but it would be nice to just be able to quietly back out of that setup and not cause a stir.

raziel83 likes this.
  2. raziel83

raziel83 Really Experienced

Wait, did someone just add you as a writer without asking?

3. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

I can remove you from the stories. Just let me know.

4. Dissonant Soundtrack

Dissonant Soundtrack Really Really Experienced

That's happened to me tbh, I engaged with a writer about an idea and they made me an author just in case I wanted to write it.

5. elmer7780

elmer7780 Experienced CHYOA Backer

Friedman likes this.
  6. Yabusa

Yabusa Experienced

Thanks Friedman. Looks like elmer and I are in the same boat for the stories https://chyoa.com/story/Skinsuit:-Chronicles-Adventure.52525 and https://chyoa.com/story/Humans,-Gods-and-Demons-Possession-Adventure.52659 .

If you can remove us, that would be helpful, thanks!

I might add a suggestion post about this later, for being able to self-remove a status from stories like that. This seems fairly harmless in this case, but I can imagine a few potential avenues for abuse.

Friedman likes this.
  7. Yabusa

Yabusa Experienced

Yeah, I don't even recognize the usernames. I'm wondering if maybe they thought I'd get a notification about being added and consider it an invitation to add to the stories, but that wasn't the case. If they weren't showing up on my profile ahead of other stories I'd actually written, I wouldn't have even had a second thought about seeing them in my other story list.

8. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

insertnamehere likes this.
  9. Yabusa

Yabusa Experienced

Welp, I guess that'll save me some time...

10. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Though still one click necessary to vote for a suggestion ;)

11. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

Thank you both! I removed you and all added users from both stories.

Happy writing!

gene.sis and elmer7780 like this.
  12. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

I have now built in the ability to leave a story, i.e. to remove your role from a story.

You can find the option under "My Stories" in the three dot dropdown.

CleanShot@2x.png