Travelling from London to Transylvania in the 19th century

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by Alibara, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Alibara

Alibara Really Experienced

2. Spindizzy

Spindizzy Really Experienced

Alibara likes this.
  3. Alibara

How long would it take? I imagine you'd be traveling though a number of countries to reach Transylvania. Would the train still go through Munich, Austria, Hungary and Romania, or would it travel through different countries?

edit: From what I gather, the travel would be 33 hours. Is that correct?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  4. Spindizzy

Spindizzy Really Experienced

So without going too deep into a research rabbit hole looks like going direct overland. Boat trian overnight to Paris.
    Paris Munich.
    Munich Vienna.
    Etc.
    Would take about a week baring breakdowns delays and werewolf attacks.
    Detouring via the Baltic coast looks like it would add 4 or five days. Retracing the route of the Demeter across the med to Bulgaria about 3 weeks, assuming nothing snacks on the crew ‍♂️

Alibara likes this.
  5. Tjf

Tjf CHYOA Guru

The original Dracula has a good description of Jonathan Harker's trip to Translyvania - depending on what part of the 19th Century this is, the Orient Express would be able to take you a great portion of the way, far easier than it would have been before it was created. Harker leaves Munich on May 1 and arrives at Dracula's castle on May 5 - sadly we don't know how long it took him to get from London to Munich. The Orient Express went through France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia with the terminus in Istanbul, as you can see, so you'd get off the train in Budapest and take another train to Transylvania, and then a slow carriage ride through the mountains as you enter areas way too remote for rail - which slows progress to a crawl.
    [​IMG]

As for the sea route, Dracula departs from his castle on the 26th of June, takes 6 days to reach the coast, and from there sails to England, arriving off the coast on the 6th of August and taking a few days for the ship to drift slowly towards land.

For reference: http://towanderandwonder.bergbuilds.domains/draculas-route/

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    raziel83 and Alibara like this.
  6. Alibara

My story actually takes place two years after Dracula. I think they could help. Thanks.

Thanks.

Tjf likes this.
  7. catfish27

catfish27 Really Experienced

Depending on how, exactly, you imagine a steampunk version of the 19th century, travel times could be a bit faster. Ships could run faster if they're built better and have more advanced engines, and improved construction techniques for railroads could speed up the trains.

Misanthrope and Alibara like this.