Question about excessive violence

Discussion in 'CHYOA General' started by Alibara, Oct 15, 2022.

1. Alibara

Alibara Really Experienced

What does it mean by gory or glorifying?

I'm planning a scene where my MC, a Homunculus, gets attacked by people, one of them a Chimera, trying to rape him.

But while defending himself, the MC rips an arm off one of his attempted rapists and knocks another one out. The guy who's arm is ripped off is later stated to have died.

The Chimera himself also nearly rapes him before being knocked out by a flash bomb.

Does this count as excessive violence?

2. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

It depends on how it is depicted.
    If it is not going into too much detail, it should be fine.

Alibara likes this.
  3. Alibara

Does the mention of blood spilling from him qualify as too much detail?

Cuchuilain likes this.
  4. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

It depends on how it is depicted.
    You can describe that the character bleeds as long as the depiction isn't gory.

If blood splashes in all directions and showers the other characters or if there are huge pools of blood, it would be too much.
    It would also be too detailed if you describe how the joints of the torn-off body parts look.

Cuchuilain and Alibara like this.
  5. Alibara

Okay then, I think my next chapter should be safe then. Thank you very much.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  6. Cuchuilain

Cuchuilain Guest

Yeah. Context is very important. It should be fine to describe injuries in battle scenes for instance, but it wouldn't be ok to describe inflicting injuries as part of a sex act.
    Don't make violence the fetish.

Alibara likes this.
  7. Alibara

Does that include spanking, whipping, or any other BDSM kind of things.

8. Dissonant Soundtrack

Dissonant Soundtrack Really Really Experienced

No. BDSM, even non-consensual BDSM, is generally allowed.

9. raziel83

raziel83 Really Experienced

This raises the question of how much detail could I put to a scene where a succubus or incubus drains someone's life? Because there are several stories with daemons transforming people, but I was thinking of a few scenes that show the creatures feeding and draining their victims to death.

Guromancer likes this.
  10. Guromancer

Guromancer Experienced

That laat comment is particularly interesting to me, as vampirism is often considered sexy bit also a murderous affliction.

11. Dansak

Dansak Really Really Experienced

Context is key. Sexual violence is generally a big no no. What you've described seems to be in keeping with a fight scene for the type of genre you're writing. I'd say it's okay, but without reading the whole story it's hard to know for sure.

12. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

Excessive sexual violence. To my knowledge it's fine if someone gets slapped around a bit, but nothing that would satisfy someone with the nickname "Guromancer".

Dansak and Guromancer like this.
  13. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

In general, there is no problem with depicting incubi, succubi, or vampires.

If a scene involves the death of a character, there are the same restrictions as in any other case.

14. Guromancer

Guromancer Experienced

I understand I'm in polite company, and cannot post here all what goes to Gurochan, but while I'm actually flattered you understand my name, I'm genuinely trying to figure exactly how far I can go. I don't need all that I'm after in this, I really just want to know how much is a waste, and it seems generally inconsistent.

Going "it depends *shrug*" doesn't really help when the stories I read in actuality range from gangs and sapient trees sexually violating women, people smashing each other's faces in (but it's action not horror that matters because), and girls becoming amputees, all the way to a story deleted because it has all 3 in the same story.

15. Dansak

Dansak Really Really Experienced

As with much of this debate, it depends on context. But I agree in principle that some sexual violence is okay. As you say, it's excessive that is the problem.

TheLowKing likes this.