I'm Having Trouble Merging Paths

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by TyrannyMeat, Jan 31, 2024.

Tags:
  1. TyrannyMeat

TyrannyMeat Virgin

So, I have a chapter that has two choices at the end. I wrote chapters for them that each have one choice at the end, but I'm not sure how to make it so these merge together into one chapter

2. Gatsha

Gatsha Really Experienced

If I'm understanding your question correctly and you have 1 chapter that continues to 2 options, and those 2 options continue to split for a total of 4, but you want them all to weave back together into one chapter, I think you just need to understand link chapters. You can read about them here:

https://chyoa.com/chapter/Adding-Pictures,-Linking-Chapters,-&-Chapter-Formatting.320683

If you already understand link chapters and I'm misunderstanding your question, please clarify. I might be able to help with more specifics.

3. TyrannyMeat

TyrannyMeat Virgin

No, I have one chapter which continues to two options and each of those options should then continue to 1 option, that is what I want. 1 to 2 then back to 1. I read the link on chapter formatting but I still don't understand how to do this

But, I am also interested in learning how to link multiple chapters into one, for examble 1 to 2 to 4 to 1

I really appreciate your help btw, ty

4. Tip

Tip Really Experienced

You need to write one version and then create a redirect one as the other to it.

5. Dissonant Soundtrack

Dissonant Soundtrack Really Really Experienced

You'll need five chapters:

1 - You see a pole. Do you walk around it to the left or right. -> Two options, Left [2] or Right [3]

2 - You walk around it to the left -> One option [4], You're now on the other side of the pole.

3 - You walk around it to the right - > One option [5], Linking Chapter

4 - You're now on the other side of the pole

5 - Linking chapter, point it at [4].

Gatsha likes this.
  6. Gatsha

Gatsha Really Experienced

As Dissonant Soundtrack says. For best results, give link chapter 5 the same name as chapter 4. Readers of your story in chapter 3 will only see that clicking link chapter 5 takes them smoothly to the chapter with the title they expect.

Considering what you're talking about 1 to 2 to 4 to 1... In Dissonant's example, if you wanted the person to return to the position of seeing the pole and making the choice (chapter 1), you can make a link chapter from chapter 4 that points back to chapter 1. There shouldn't be any issue moving backwards on the story map.