Which do you prefer

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by wicker, Jun 21, 2024.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Adding to my own chapters

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Working with other authors and adding to each other's chapters

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. wicker

wicker Really Really Experienced

When it comes to writing, do you prefer to work alone or collaborate with others?
    I've added to many stories where the story owner doesn't add to my chapters.

TheLowKing likes this.
  2. daciasdesire

daciasdesire Really Experienced

Collaborating is infinitely more enjoyable to me. The amount of ideas I can come up with multiply so much based off even a single added chapter someone else has written. It's my favorite thing about the site

Dansak, raziel83 and TheLowKing like this.
  3. Dansak

Dansak Really Really Experienced

I generally prefer to write on my own, I rarely add to another author's stories. I have had a couple of people work with me on my stories and add to them though, which has worked well because we collaborated very closely on the content.

TheLowKing likes this.
  4. TheLowKing

TheLowKing Really Really Experienced

I've never added to another author's story. I've tried writing sequels to other author's stories, but I always ended up feeling constrained by the boundaries set up by the original story, so they never went anywhere.

I'm happy for other authors to add to my stories, but I set them to 'moderated' to ensure true garbage like "and then she said wow that was hot and he went thanks wanna bang ok and they fucked and she came a hundred times and when he came he was like a fountain and it was so good" doesn't devalue my own stuff by mere proximity. I suspect that's one reason why no one has ever added to one of my stories either.

I'm fine with both. Ultimately, for me, the act of writing is a solitary activity. There's stuff in my head, and I want it to come out onto the paper. I'm not categorically opposed to trying a collaboration, but I suspect I would find it unpleasant.

Dansak likes this.
  5. raziel83

raziel83 Really Experienced

My problem is that I lose my inspiration too quickly to make my own stories alone. But I can add a few threads to a story someone else has started and move on to the next story when the next idea becomes my muse. Collaboration is also fun, although I seem to have trouble finding people to actually do co-ordinated collab with.

Dansak likes this.
  6. wicker

wicker Really Really Experienced

It seems a lot of authors just do their own thing on their own stories and only add to their own threads. Or maybe it's just the stories I add to.

Dansak likes this.
  7. Sthaana

Sthaana Really Experienced

I write so sporadically, I'd feel bad adding to someone else's story just to leave it hanging incomplete lol

8. RachelDaws

RachelDaws Virgin CHYOA Backer

So far I have only ever added to my own stories. I have been tempted in the past to add to someone elses, but this fear of someone taking what I wrote and changing it exists. I have one or two of my stories set to Moderated and I would fully welcome other's contributing, but I would likely be fairly careful with what I let through. All in all, I write with my vision and I worry that things I would not enjoy might appear in my own story.

Sthaana likes this.