Post bug reports here!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by airwreck, Jul 15, 2014.

1. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Are there link chapters involved?

2. Fiend21

Fiend21 Virgin

Yes gene.sis, there are. Is that an issue?

3. BelleHades

BelleHades Virgin

My first story was published, and I wrote multiple chapters befoee hitting the publish button. Upon approval, I see the About info still saying my story has 1 chapter, even though it is 12 chapters deep with several other chapters down another branch. Is this a bug or an issue on my end?

4. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

I think the number updates from time to time.

BelleHades likes this.
  5. Jhaelin

Jhaelin Virgin

The story "Favorable Odds" has a really screwed up story map. Somehow, there are chapters interspersed among other sections of the story. They hide, show, collapse, and expand as if they're in the correct position. I haven't seen this bug affect another story yet, despite several others also using numerous link chapters.

6. Fiend21

Fiend21 Virgin

Oh yeah, what this guy says.

7. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

The issue has its origin in loose ends. There are some unpublished and published chapters without parent chapters (chapters that were deleted before publishing the children).

As a quick fix: I've moved all loose threads to the end of the story map.

8. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

Got another one guys: I reworked an unpublished story of mine called * Pokémon: Rest For The Wicked * some months ago, which involved deleting several chapters. I went back to work on it again today, and of course turned on game mode to do variables alterations. (The story, though presently linear, is designed to accommodate Pokémon based shenanigans later on...) Well, to cut to the chase, Not only did that take me straight to the error page, but now every time I try to load it to try fixing this problem, it jumps me straight BACK to the error page. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

9. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

you could try to reset the save game by appending
    ?game=reset
    to the link

Friedman likes this.
  10. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

Yes! Took a little lateral thinking but that did the Trick!

(For anyone in the same situation, you have to get into the story map somehow, copy the link address from one of the still existing chapters, then paste that into the address bar of your browser and add:

?game=reset

To the end of the link before you try to load the page.)

11. SeriousBrainDamage

SeriousBrainDamage Really Really Experienced

Hi, not sure if it's a bug or i didn't understand the correct usage of tags myself.

Even if i add them at the end of a new chapter, they won't display in the 'about' section on the right.

I noticed that after i enter the tag, right after i push the 'save' button, the field clears before the page refreshes.

12. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Do the tags appear on the edit chapter page after saving the chapter and reopening it?
    (you have to press enter after typing every tag)

moonblack and SeriousBrainDamage like this.
  13. SeriousBrainDamage

SeriousBrainDamage Really Really Experienced

Never thought about it, thanks!

14. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

Lately I have been going on the forums and I will notice I have alerts to threads I have commented on. I will go there and I know I had typed something in, and yet it won't be there. Even refreshing several times nothing. The trick I found is to go back under alerts and try once more to get working results. Strange bugger

15. Kaitou1412

Kaitou1412 Moderator

So, I just discovered an oversight with game mode stories.

The editor had a linked thread that led to a thread that existed only as a draft. Since I'm not privileged to drafts on another's story, the site gave me the "non-existent thread" page. However, the game mode registered that as my last thread selected. As such, whenever I open the story again, or when I restart game mode after I clear, game mode perpetually redirects me to the "non-existent" thread. And since it's game mode, even a direct link to the story map or any other thread doesn't solve the problem. Without any means to alleviate this on the "non-existent thread" page, the story is softlocked until the editor either publishes or deletes the draft. Not a big problem on it's own since it generally means the story is active (and let me point out the editor has since published the thread, clearing the softlock I found), but this is a programming problem that renders a game story unplayable all the same.

16. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

this is the same problem as this one:

Related suggestions:
    Fix The 404/Game Save/Deleted Chapter Bug
    Delete All Saved Games

Current workaround:
    append
    Code:
    ?game=reset
    to the link to reset the game

17. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

It is not possible to delete the Introduction Chapter because then the story would be empty.

But you can delete the story at the Edit Story page.
    This link should lead you directly to the Edit Story page of your story.

Friedman likes this.
  18. TurinTurambar

TurinTurambar Experienced

When using "Previous Chapter", it always leads back to the actual parent chapter of the current one, even if one has used a redirect chapter to get here. This is kind of problematic for game mode stories and allows the reader to reach variable states that should not be possible. Would it be possible to simply save the stack of visited chapters in the session or cookie (wherever the game mode variables are stored)? Otherwise, I would almost recommend disabling the Previous Chapter button while in game mode.

Just an example in case I explained it terribly:

Chapter 1: Character has two choices
    Chapter 2a: Character gains affection with Anna
    Chapter 3a: Redirect to 3b
    Chapter 2b: Character gains affection with Beth
    Chapter 3b: Character continues on his way

Now you go 1 -> 2a -> 3a -> 3b to gain your affection with Anna, but when you go back, you go 3b -> 2b -> 1, which means the game reverts an affection gain with Beth that actually never happened. Then you go to the Anna path again, gaining more affection etc.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  19. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

This is a known issue.
    There is a fix in review which would change the way savegames will be saved. With that fix, the Previous Chapter button would redirect you to the last visited chapter (jumping over Chapter Links) but limits the history in game mode to 10 Chapters.

TurinTurambar likes this.