Identify options by author.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TheDespaxas, Jan 29, 2018.

1. TheDespaxas

TheDespaxas Really Really Experienced

I just realized something, in many situations if people continue from the last chapter, the original authors chapter get the second slot instead of being on top.

Some people pick their choices based on options, others want to see what was the story that the story owner wanted to write (both very valid decisions)

People have authors they particularly like and would love to know that they wrote in a story, even if the first of their chapter might look less enticing than another of the same crossroad.

Easy fix, I seem to have seen it done on at least one other site (writing.com iirc, could be wrong.)

Instead of
    Choice 1
    Choice 2

We should have
    Choice 1 by author X
    Choice 2 by author Y

I think it would be a nice addition to the site and present it to you for consideration.

Aman Onfy Mous, drek, Gatsha and 16 others like this.
  2. Loeman

Loeman Really Really Experienced

Yes. The authors should be listed by the choices.

3. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

4. RejectTed

RejectTed Really Experienced

It would be also helpful if you wanted to avoid certain authors.

dirtytyke likes this.
  5. dirtytyke

dirtytyke Experienced

I kind of like this, but think it should preferably be in grey or smaller font or something unobtrusive so it's there if you want it but easily discernible from the chapter titles.

Also, I want to like RejectTed's contribution to this thread one hundred times over.

gene.sis and madmaniac like this.
  6. Javalar

Javalar Really Experienced

It could be very annoying in a story that is written by only one author though.

7. dirtytyke

dirtytyke Experienced

True. Maybe it should only show up if the author is different from the current chapter?

8. Loeman

Loeman Really Really Experienced

I don't see it being that big a headache. But that's a reasonable solution, if it is a problem.

9. dirtytyke

dirtytyke Experienced

Well, anything that is unnecessary shouldn't be shown. It'd just be cluttering the experience.
    Kind of why I like to disable signatures and hate excess white space.

10. Durzan

Durzan Really Experienced

Gonna add a like here. This would make chapter organization a bit easier.

11. Sthaana

Sthaana Really Experienced

Eh, If you keep the author's name greyed out, it wouldn't be a problem...

However, I think that giving people that option could reduce the number of people opening new accounts. Speaking for myself, one of the reasons I opened an account was that I wanted to be able to see the Story Maps to have an idea who and what comes next.
    Giving lurkers more info could disincentivise them to make an account...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    gene.sis likes this.
  12. Durzan

Durzan Really Experienced

It might not be a bad idea to tie the order of chapter organization by author as well. So, all authors who wrote certain chapters as continuation of a specific thread get listed together.

13. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Well, I think the order of sibling chapters should be determined by the story owner or an editor as they know best which order would make the most sense. (Though this is not possible at the moment but part of another suggestion.)