Posting etiquette

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by SummerDawn, Oct 30, 2019.

1. SummerDawn

SummerDawn Virgin

I've searched the forums for an existing thread but can't find one so here comes a n00b question. :)

If I want to add a chapter to a story, but I can see in the map that the thread within the story is dominated by another writer, what is considered good etiquette for jumping in?

I'm mostly concerned about public threads where there's no moderation. Moderated threads have some oversight so I'd assume the Mods would be able to provide feedback on the sub-thread, and how it might be written, or if it's exclusive to that one writer.

Regin34 likes this.
  2. daciasdesire

daciasdesire Really Experienced

I'd say just add your chapter. The other author can just write around yours by another branch if they were against what you had written

grimbous likes this.
  3. wicker

wicker Really Really Experienced

I can't speak for anyone else, but I love having other authors add to my chapters and stories!

daciasdesire likes this.
  4. Spindizzy

Spindizzy Really Experienced

As Wicker said as a writer there are few things more exciting than having other creators engage with your work. Do be sure to check for any rules or guidelines the editor may have before hitting publish.

Tip, daciasdesire and gene.sis like this.
  5. SummerDawn

SummerDawn Virgin

Appreciate the feedback. Most of my previous writing in public forums like HoE (now FictionDepot) is you don’t write into a story without the other writer’s okay first. So the idea of jumping in without asking first is a shift in thinking for me.

Glad to know most people like having others jump in and add to the story, theres several on here I’d love to add my own creative bend to. :)

daciasdesire and grimbous like this.
  6. daciasdesire

daciasdesire Really Experienced

Without a doubt, I love it when I get people adding to my stories. It's wise to get the lay of the land first if that was the norm on the other sites you've written for.

7. SummerDawn

SummerDawn Virgin

I definitely read as much of the story as I can to get a feel for the characters and the story. If it's a story I enjoy I'm likely to want to add to it. :)

8. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

If the author wants additions to meet certain demands, they should note it in the writer guidelines of the story.

Additions to moderated stories get reviewed by the story owner (not by a moderator.)
    Though if the story owner is absent for a long time, you can ask for the approval of your chapter or adopt the story.

9. wicker

wicker Really Really Experienced

if the author didn't want you to add, he'd have made the story private

10. Durzan

Durzan Really Experienced

Not if the author of the branch isn't the original creator of the story...

11. Bauer1

Bauer1 Virgin CHYOA Backer

There's nothing better than having someone take the time, and add to your story :)

daciasdesire likes this.
  12. Regin34

Regin34 CHYOA Guru

It is one of the best things what others can do for you on this website, like adding chapter to story! Ewen if that chapter isn't the best or isn't showing your character as you wish, It is still great gift! I wish for more autors writing to my story, but I'm gradefull for this one who already writing :)

13. Xenolan

Xenolan Really Experienced

Do it! It’s not like you’d be replacing the other author’s work; you’re supplementing it, taking it in a new direction. I really like to see what happens when someone goes off on a tangent that I’d never considered.