should I retire

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by wicker, Nov 21, 2021.

?

Should wicker retire

1. Yes, you're just posting the same stuff over and over

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No, I enjoy your stuff

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. don't care

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. wicker

wicker Really Really Experienced

your opinion

Cuchuilain likes this.
  2. Almax

Almax Really Experienced

I don't think you should listen to anything that anybody on here says about this, no matter which way it ends up going. Do you have fun writing here? Does it bring you joy and make you smile? Does it pass the time well? Or is it more like a chore that you feel like you have to keep doing but the fun is all gone?

The only reason any of us are here is because we chose to spend some time here, y'know? We're not being paid, we can leave whenever we want, we can come back whenever we want. This is a free time thing. Should you keep playing that video game you love to sink hours into? Well, yes, if you enjoy sinking those free time hours into it. But if the fun's gone, maybe leave it for a while, do some other things, and come back when/if you start to miss it.

It sounds like you're not having a lot of fun or creative joy being here right now, so I'd say it's definitely worth taking a step back and coming here again when you feel like it'll be fun again. Deciding something as permanent as an official retirement or to stay "unretired" doesn't give you as much leeway as you should definitely try to keep. Be here when you enjoy spending your time here, don't when you don't, if that makes sense. And maybe it's just a ten day break and then you're excited to get back and filled with new ideas again! Maybe it's longer than that. But you don't need to think of permanent retirement as the only way of leaving, or that you're forced to stay and hate it if you don't leave for good.

Hope this helps! Take some time to figure out what you really want to spend your time on and what will make you the most happy for now, and feel free to change your answer whenever the answer does inevitably change!

3. wicker

i'm not getting a lot of positive feedback, nor am I getting anyone adding to my chapters. It's rather depressing.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  4. Almax

Almax Really Experienced

I know it can be really hard, and it’s more advice about a goal than advice about steps towards a goal, which doesn’t make it super helpful, but do your best to try and not let your happiness be an exterior force. It’s no fun when you have to wait for and rely on outside sources and other people to make you feel good about yourself, and even though it’s not as easy as just choosing to feel good about yourself on your own, it is something that you can learn to do with time. And even if that time is measured in years, which for some people it can be, you can still remove yourself from the outside sources that actively make you feel worse and put yourself nearer to the outside sources that do make you feel good in the meantime. If you don’t have to be somewhere, and you don’t like being there, then sneak off until you decide you might like being there again!

It might be a good idea to take a step back from the site and think about what makes you happy and what you wanna spend your time doing. If you came here for something that you can’t get from here, and you aren’t happy with what you can get from here, and it makes you feel terrible staying here, then take some time away and see if you miss it. Only write if you enjoy the writing, not if it makes you sit there refreshing the page waiting to see what other people think, if that makes sense.

And if you do really enjoy writing here and have fun with it, then keep it up! It’s just that expecting or hoping for other people to act a certain way and hedging your happiness on it isn’t a good way to be. Hope things get better, and I really hope you can put yourself in a spot where things are fun and you’ve always got something to look forward to!

Warden-Yarn15 likes this.
  5. Zeebop

Zeebop CHYOA Guru

Feedback, sadly, is rare. I think it definitely comes down to whether or not you enjoy writing and posting. I know it can be depressing not to get much in the way of interaction, but it's a rare story that gets other folks to play along. Have you considered shaking things up a little - doing a chapter in someone else's story? Maybe get some interaction this way.

Cuchuilain and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  6. Gambio

Gambio CHYOA Guru

Well, without your chapter Hard Candy wouldn't exist and neither would Marcie and Gina Read.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  7. wicker

How so?

Cuchuilain likes this.
  8. SeriousBrainDamage

SeriousBrainDamage Really Really Experienced

Wicker, I get you may want to be cheered up a little, but in the end, we're just a bunch of strangers.

You shouldn't base your actions on what we tell you.

The only good advice you can get from here is that you should ask yourself if you can still find enjoyment in writing despite everything, as better said by others.

Also, there is no need to be so definitive. You can take a break and come back when you feel like it. Everyone does it from time to time.

Cuchuilain and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  9. Swallows999

Swallows999 Really Experienced

Damn, it's tough seeing this thread. I remember reading your works when I was in high school, back on the old CHYOO site. The sparse time-stop and ENF content on the site is what convinced me to start writing. You should definitely take a break if you're feeling burnt out, no need to force yourself.

10. Gambio

Gambio CHYOA Guru

It's what inspired me to write "Hard candy" I wouldn't have done it without that jumping off point.

"Hard candy" in turn got quite a few authors that added to it.

So yeah, I would say your work is a net benefit

Cuchuilain likes this.
  11. wicker

was there something specific that inspired Hard Candy?

Cuchuilain likes this.
  12. wicker

thank you very much!

Cuchuilain likes this.
  13. Gambio

Gambio CHYOA Guru

tough to say really , when inspiration strikes it tends to just strike lol It was also about a year ago, so memory is a bit hazy

I'm into body control and humiliation,so I suppose there was that base appeal.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  14. remysloane

remysloane Experienced

I would write even if I never published. I enjoy the process and get off on my own material. And since we don't get paid for this, I'm glad I have that. If you're relying on external validation, I can see why it would be hard to stay motivated.
    But, I checked your stories, and you are getting thousands of views and likes, so what are us mere mortals to do if you're suffering?
    Comments seem rare around here. I wish they'd open up anonymous comments here, just in case this is what was holding people back. I don't mind the trolls.

15. Cuchuilain

Cuchuilain Guest

I've overlapped a few chapters with you in the past, but I cant keep up with your pace generally, particularly when I hit the doldrums which can last for weeks at least.
    I have to say you have provided quite a few points of inspiration though, so I appreciate what you've put out there.
    In the end though if you're not enjoying it just now, its time for a break.

Serious, you guys are about as close as I've got to actual friends. (think I may have outlived all my RL ones), so the retiral of one of you would not be without impact.

16. wicker

Thanks to those of you who have encouraged me. I've received some more positive feedbacks (likes, additions to my chapters) recently.

17. Zingiber

Zingiber Really Really Experienced

Glad you asked for some attention, and that you're seeing it on your stories.

Now and again I might post in Chyoo Forums with a story update, since my stories' appearances on the "recently updated" list in the site, while drawing views, are brief and hit-or-miss.

18. wicker

yes, I've seen to have picked up more likes and feedback. I do appreciate it

Zingiber likes this.
  19. bastian

bastian Virgin

Why put a label on it? I’ve been writing since the original Chyoo and I’ve gone entire years without posting anything. If you aren’t feeling it don’t write. The site isn’t going anywhere (hopefully).