Resort Story Options

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lake_Nine, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Lake_Nine

Lake_Nine Really Experienced

This may be impossible in the current system but I want a way to reorder story options. There may be a way to do this but I am unaware of it right now.

For example, I have

Option 1
    Option 2
    Option 3

Each leading to their own story threads. I would like to be able to set it up so it reads 3, 2, 1 or some other combination.

This need came about when I thought of adding some background info to a story as a chapter. I would always want that chapter to go last on the chapter list as I believe it is the least important.

RejectTed likes this.
  2. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

This has been suggested, repeatedly, thus far no action.

3. Lake_Nine

If I had to guess the reason is that it is handled automatically by a plugin or a monolithic collection of code and the change wouldn't be worth the effort. This problem could easily be solved with the implementation of the stalled (I believe) formula paper story system.

4. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

I'm not quite familiar with the story map yet, though I think that they are currently ordered by their ID, so even if you can move them, they will always appear in the order of the ID, meaning that the oldest chapter is always the first.

Also see
    Moving/reordering chapters
    and
    Newer threads posted to top

5. Lake_Nine

Yeah something like that, I knew someone had to of already requested it I just didn't see the thread

As for the map idea, we talked about it like half a year ago. A map with chapter "nodes" that could be linked in a free-form way. Probably horrifyingly complex on a technical side and would have to be fully custom. It would almost certainly have to run something client side using some JS framework or other before sending the data off to the server. See UE4 blueprints for shitty example
    [​IMG]

6. Kaitou1412

Kaitou1412 Moderator

And I believe the reason listed was that the CHYOO-era threads made the concept impossible to retroactively apply.

7. Lake_Nine

Speculation on why it is hard to do is dumb, for all I know chyoa is run on a very efficient monkey based database. You can work around the fact it wouldn't work retroactively by building export and import tools, of just saying only new stories can do this.

The question really is how much work it would be, and would it be worth it as opposed to other stuff.

8. Kaitou1412

Kaitou1412 Moderator

So all that matters is getting what you want, and not the equality and fairness of the situation?

No, the real questions are:

How high is the demand? If implemented, will it be used regularly, or is it a simple one-off feature meant to place note chapters in a more aesthetically pleasing location?
    How much will the ability tax the site? If implemented, will the rest of the site function about the same, or will it become significantly slower?
    How many threads simply can't be rearranged via deletion and reposting? Is it ego from the stats that makes you desire reorganization instead, or is there a huge storyline from other contributors that simply cannot be copied and pasted?

gene.sis likes this.
  9. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

The other authors stories need not be huge to not be copyable. I for one would never do that to another person's work except in a few instances that are so abnormal as to barely be worth mentioning.

10. Lake_Nine

What, I am not following you here...
    So basically is it worth it overall?

11. Iam_DickMan

Iam_DickMan Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

coming at you live from the future, has this ever been implemented?

12. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

As of now, such changes can only be done directly in the database.

(Implemented suggestions are tagged "Implemented")