When some of your favourite authors go on long hiatuses

Discussion in 'CHYOA General' started by wilparu, Oct 28, 2022.

1. wilparu

wilparu Really Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

.. it low key kind of sucks. I hope they are all doing something they enjoy more, that they have more fun creative outlets now or that their lives are just too busy to write but in a cool way.

But still, there are I'd say about 8-10 writers I really like on this site, the kind where I am excited to read everything they write. Two or three of them most of all. However, starting last year randomly (and, I assume, coincidentally) all of them stopped writing as often. Some of them were more prolific than others, but all of them updated a chapter at least once a month or so. Then, all of them seemingly didn't post anything for months.... even the ones who posted very regularly. Seriously, there were weeks and weeks going by when not one writer I followed posted anything.

Happily, one of my absolute favs is writing again and it's a huge treat to get more of their stories. But I look at the long running stories I loved that haven't been updated in a year or so and I have to sigh.

*Again*, I totally get it. Life gets in the way. People change, situations change, etc. But it was weird how so many different authors in a few different genres I follow all drifted away around the same time.

raziel83 and Zingiber like this.
  2. chris_brown

chris_brown Really Experienced

Out of curiosity who.are you following who hasn't been around in awhile?

3. Dissonant Soundtrack

Dissonant Soundtrack Really Really Experienced

That's happened to me as well. Sometimes I get good news (one moved internationally and got a better job) and sometimes I'm left to worry (one disappeared from India during the height of COVID). I hope that even if they don't come back that they are in a good place.

raziel83 likes this.
  4. wilparu

wilparu Really Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

ThreeNipps, wixxy, Deadedge, haoro, supplanter a few others. QueerKestrel was on a hiatus of some kind but is writing again so that's cool.

insertnamehere likes this.
  5. parkingdiscount

parkingdiscount Experienced

That's kinda how life is. The better writers on this site aren't here just to write a quick jerk off smut. They are often here to experiment and try their hand at writing a story. It can take a lot of time and effort to actually write, many of which can be times they just do not have any motivation to work on it. Life happens, and maybe they leave the phase and never come back to the site to write. Still, trying to get someone back to write is hard because you are in a way forcing them to resume work which they might not make as great a story as they would if they willingly returned.

A lot of works on the site are quick smut compilations where people just throw together a barely sustainable plot to support copious amounts of sex scenes. Those might not require as much thought, and actually seem to fare better since update frequency is the most important aspect of keeping a story exposed.

6. chris_brown

Ward Master is someone who's been gone a year or so and who did really well descriptive sex scenes,I miss the detail he provided

Cuchuilain likes this.
  7. Dansak

Dansak Really Really Experienced

I know what you mean, I miss some of those authors too.

It's just life getting in the way though, at least for me it has been. Work and other pressures have meant no time for writing. I'm trying out a new story though and have a bit of time for over the next few weeks that should mean I can get it up and running. But, I'm trying to complete the whole story before I publish so I don't leave people hanging.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  8. Warden-Yarn15

Warden-Yarn15 Really Really Experienced

I experienced this a few months ago... and boy am I depressed.

It's nice when someone you look forward to read from, doesn't say anything. No updates, no Author's Note, not even a comment.

And you DM them. 4 times out of 5, they respond and they say something about appreciating that they've been missed and maybe post 1 or 2 chapters... and they disappear again. You try to DM them, but now only 1 out of 5 replies, if at all, and the only one that does reply tells you that they're busy which you can respect, but you're just sitting down on your laptop and re-reading some chapters or different branches that they've made...

But then you check up on the other authors you read up, specifically the one that had COVID and said he's beaten it, but hasn't said anything after that.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  9. chris_brown

Who disappeared that you liked?

10. chris_brown

Reason I ask is because of someone who I became a fan of who's been gone for a year+ and I wish I knew what happened to him/her

11. Warden-Yarn15

Ever heard of TheNextGamer?

12. chris_brown

Rings a vague bell,does the name WardMaster ring any bells with you?

13. JWtts

JWtts Really Experienced

While not fishing for any compliments or Likes, and by no means saying I'm anyone's favorite, I shamefully raise my hand as a hiatus writer. :(

For me it's been a mix of life changes, the pesky 40hr/week thing I have to do to pay the bills, motivation, and getting distracted by new ideas.

I can actually see the finish line for the story I have going, but it's been hard to find my way into it to flesh it out. Could I satisfy readers by just writing something? Sure, but I'd rather do a good job than just be like, "Here, more content. Happy wanking!"

I honestly wish I could be one of those writers that could drop ten new chapters a week, ten that are probably better than whatever 2 or 3 I eek out every few months when I can, but I accept this about myself and try not to stress about it.

Cuchuilain and Warden-Yarn15 like this.
  14. Warden-Yarn15

No, unfortunately.