A Game of Gods (Recruitment Thread)

Discussion in 'RPG Advertisment' started by Simon_Silver, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

I have been thinking of starting a very slow moving 'God Game' if anyone knows what that is.

For those not so informed, in 'God Game' is a game where you play a god/goddess: once every pre determined interval (in this case each week) you get one succinct sentence to 'Act', and up to 3 paragraphs of 'description', working with the other gods and goddess to create a universe up from nothing. You are basically omnipotent except for the existence of one or more over deities who limit and control your actions in certain ways, especially not allowing you to use more Acts than you have stored (hard cap 3) or using your Acts in such a way as to deliberately impede the other gods Acts or ruin their work instead of building the universe.

This game would take place in a regular CHYOA story, not on the forums, but there would be a forum thread for discussion and talking shop/strategy. I would make updates some time Saturday or Sunday whenever possible, which are some of a very limited number of days each week I have unrestricted internet, and new Acts would drop on Mondays.

There would be a handful of 'adoptable' gods pre-created and run by me until they are adopted by players, but people would be free to create their own deities to play. (That said, 'adoptable' gods start with 3 acts, player created ones only one.)

I would take on the role of AO and OM, the father and mother of the pantheon, who sit in judgement over the Acts of the gods. '

Anyone think this sounds like a good idea?

2. Forged

Forged Virgin

I would be down for this. I know the response is late...

Would each god have a domain, or can we just make things according to our whims? I'm open to any option, but just wanted a few more details.

3. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

Each god would have a fundamental concept that they embody: such as 'good', 'evil', 'darkness' (which is not the same thing as the previous one.), 'order', 'life', 'magic', 'destiny', 'dreams', 'honor', 'boundaries', etc, etc: but they are free to ACT outside that purview, which can help them expand their purview and develop into a more broadly defined and powerful god, but which will also be more closely scrutinized for having overreached and being subject to WRATH.

I will post the list of adoptable gods sometime tomorrow, but for tonight I am off to watch some telly and thence bed.

4. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

As promised here is the list of adoptable gods, all but one of which is culled from another game.

Gods for Adoption:

It is important to note at this juncture that there can be more than one god of any fundamental force in the game, just as one example, The Great Gas Pump being a god of Order even though Om is already a god of order, just because there is already a god of something here don't feel restricted from creating your own god or goddess of that cosmic principle.

The Great Gas Pump: Order

The Great Gas Pump takes the form of, as its name might suggest, an immense gas pump. It has four long flexible hoses ending in four gas nozzles that serve it as arms and hands: the nozzles pumping out whatever it requires for its ACTS, from star-fire, to primordial soup, to lava, or stranger things such as Time or Color, and yes, gasoline.

The Great Gas Pump represents 'Order' in it's incarnation as technology, and it's goal is to create one or more technologically sophisticated civilizations.

The Great Gas Pump's Symbol is a Gas Nozzle.

The Overtoddler: Chaos

The Overtoddler takes the form of a huge humanoid baby wearing a giant white diaper. When he ACTS it typically runs in ways that would be expected of a baby, such as spiting up, peeing, napping and dreaming a new thing, or throwing blocks around, which by fuzzy logic and circuitous reasoning somehow results in whatever the ACT was coming to pass.

The Overtodler's Holy Symbol is a Diaper.

Sarenrae: Good

Taking the Form of an angel with hair of fire and glowing white wings wielding a scimitar Sarenrae is a militant goddess who advocates the power of good to uplift all things.

Sarenrae's holy symbol is a stylized icon of herself.

Sarenrae's goals for the first age are to get the universe running first and foremost but also to expand her purview into the spheres of Light, Suns, and Justice.

Charon: Life

Charon is the goddess of Life, which has yet to come into existence but she will change that ASAP. She is willing to try many different types of life, not just terrestrial styles, and will work hard in the patterning of the universe. She takes the form of an old woman surrounded by many different types of animal and plant.

Her Holy symbol is:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/q7thxlDAj2I/0.jpg

The Ebon Dragon: Darkness

The Ebon Dragon, Better known as TED, is a deeply conflicted being, he is darkness, and inclined to evil, but senses that down that path lies his doom and imprisonment, so he is trying to change his fate and rise above his instincts to become more than the serpent in the garden. (It remains to be seen weather he can succeed.)

TED's holy symbol is a featureless black circle.

I have also come to an important decision, while adoptable gods will start with three ACTS when taken up by a player anyone who creates a god in the format above before the game goes live next week will also begin with 3 ACTS, after that, things get much more restricted, so jump in early!

5. Forged

Forged Virgin

Olok: Change

Known as the shifting god, Olok is torn between both order and chaos. Olok's form is inconsistent, but is usually a möbius strip covered in an ever changing pattern. Olok is excited by the upcoming undertaking, but worries that it's desires might not be appreciated by the other gods.
    Olok ACTS by budding off a pattern which overlays reality to adjust it.

Olok's holy symbol is a möbius strip.(for now)

6. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

Well, there's one: if anyone has questions I happen to be staying at a house with internet for the week from now through Sunday...

What do you all think of starting the game Friday? That way we could get things swinging before I have to go home to information-blackout-ville...

7. Forged

Forged Virgin

I'm in, weekends are going to be my primary post time anyway.

8. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

I've made another decision: since the game needs new players, to entice people to join early anyone signing up within the first month can add up to 7 things to the universe via their character description, but they must be things that are not inherent, like say 'time' or 'physics', or at least they wont be inherent if added in this way: and they are not considered 'property' of the player unless they claim them with an ACT.

Also, people are running out of time to join with the 3 act bonus: as soon as the game goes live tomorrow that door is closed: consider it a 'Black Friday' door-buster if you will: and for this one you don't have to pay a dime nor brave the streets...

9. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

Bad News, I am having more trouble than expected reconstructing the rules from memory into a readable format for this site, so the launch may have to be pushed back to tomorrow. Note the 'may' I am hoping to still have the launch late tonight in GMT -5.

10. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

The game is now live, but unfortunately due to some difficulties at home we have started during an 'update blackout' and Monday may be problematic too due to the site theoretically being updated to version 3 that day, but rest assured, I will be ready and waiting to do the first update next weekend. (Barring completely unforeseen disasters.)

The story is here:

http://chyoa.com/story/a-game-of-gods-players-welcome

Feel free to look over what we have so far: it's not much but it is a start! (And that is all that it is supposed to be!)

And now, for those joining us late in the proceedings, here is the form to fill out to join.

Name: (Your god or goddess's name)
    Portfolio: (A single word describing the primal concept you represent, check the 'gods for adoption' in the story for examples. This can be a totally new concept, even if you are joining after the new year.)

Avatar: (In 50 words or less, [Preferably MUCH less.] describe what your god would look like to we mortals. Note that if you are joining before 1-1-2016 this section can include new things to be added to the universe, up to 7 of them, which should be Bold so that the GM can add them in the first update where you have ACTED.)

Holy Symbol: (In 50 words or less, [Preferably MUCH less.] describe what your god's holy symbol looks like. [Linking to an image file on a reputable hosting site such as Photobucket is acceptable!] This too can add new things to the Universe, if you are joining before 1-1-2016, but like above there can be only 7 total, including the ones from the previous two segments.)

Goals for the First AEON: (What your god or goddess wishes to accomplish in the first AEON of the universe, this section can mention new concepts or objects that do not exist, but cannot add them ..)

Everyone please remember to read over the Rules Thread before trying to join, this is not your typical God Game.

11. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

So, as soon as the game went live we got two new people wanting to join!

One seems to want to create the own god/goddess but Noahendless, a friend and fan of mine on this site wants to take on the role of TED, AKA The Ebon Dragon!

As soon as he shows up here to make that announcement official, I will gladly turn it over to him!

(Unless of course the other player wants to take over TED too... Hum, don't know how I would resolve that one... Suggestions?)

12. Dragon_ANGL

Dragon_ANGL Virgin

((Sorry for the late reply/entrance, I don't usually use the forums ^^;
    ((Also, pretty sure not all of this divinity's characteristics will be allowed, but I'm wanting to see how much will be

Name: The Scarred One ((TSO for further purposes in this post))

Portfolio: Magic/Aether (secondary: non-fatal self-sacrifice for the benefit of others)

Avatar: Masked being (of the beholder's race's stature) with a cloak & hood covering the rest of the body, shapeless under the cloak. 3 visual receptor holes present in the mask (left, right, top), with an X starting from the edges of the mask, passing between the left/top eye and right/top eye, then to the opposite edge of the circular mask. Said X-shaped 'scar' would be throbbing with the glow of the ether that TSO maintains.

Symbol: A circle/oval atop a flowing cloak, with an X shape covering the circle.

Adherents: TSO adherents (when the multiverse mortal inhabitants reach the required level of cognizance) undergo a rite of ritual disfigurement to align with TSO. It is but a single rite, the result of which is an unhealthy-looking scar that does not hurt and IS healthy, but not easily hidden. Departing from TSO to follow other divinities is allowed - but their attachment to the ether source through TSO is severed, and their Mark fades away as if it never occurred.

Goal for the first AEON/Perhaps a sample ACT:

TSO ACT (28-11-2015, 18:50)

TSO creates the Mana Pool.

TSO, seeking an emptier-than-usual area of the Void, then created a 'scar' in it, filling it with Its ether. Said ether is the source of which all future adherents draw on for powering their arcane arts. Nonetheless, this space is also accessible to other divinities. Only through being a divinity or through a Mark can an individual or group access the power lying within, as the power contained would burn ceaselessly and fatally through any otherwise unprotected mortal.

The ether is also present throughout the universe, but spread out and thin - the distilled essence is contained within the Mana Pool, and can be channeled to other locations as needed. Once worlds have been created that can support and sustain life, in whatever form that life is, TSO will, if allowed, 'Scar' the planet, creating quite visible lines of Ether, otherwise known as ley lines, where lesser concentrations of ether can be found, non-fatal to contact, if an irritant to consumption with the raw power. The ether revitalizes and empowers any living thing near it, but the Scar can be sunk within the planet to safeguard the life on the surface as well.

Edit: I know the Mana Pool seems to be more like a Sacred Site in the void than an Artifact though.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  13. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

Nice, you will shortly be added to the game, but I must warn you of two things:

1: You will be goddess of Magic, not Magic/Æther, The Æther part must be earned.

2: That ACT would be WRATHED so hard for domino effect, doing that would take like five ACTS. (Just a word to the wise. It CAN be done, but not in one fell swoop like that.)

I look forward to your future participation!

14. Dragon_ANGL

Dragon_ANGL Virgin

*Nods* I understand. Was thinking the Aether might be a secondary word for magic, if one wanted to be more mystical and less......bland. And yeah, I understand the domino effect, I'll try to be less god-moding in my posts.

15. Noahendless

Noahendless Experienced

I would like T.E.D and for my first act I would like to create the first life in an attempt to become a more benevolent less evil being

16. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

Noah, you need to fill out this form, like every other applicant: it's not fair if I give you a pass, when I won't for anyone else, but since you're a mate and all and are going through a rough patch I will do the heavy lifting for you, MmmKay? Just C/P and finish the parts I leave with their explanations...

Name: The Ebon Dragon (TED)
    Portfolio: Darkness

Avatar: (In 50 words or less, [Preferably MUCH less.] describe what your god would look like to we mortals. Note that if you are joining before 1-1-2016 this section can include new things to be added to the universe, up to 7 of them, which should be Bold so that the GM can add them in the first update where you have ACTED.)(Cannon So Far: "A huge Black Asiatic Dragon made of living Darkness"...)

Holy Symbol: A Featureless Black Circle

Goals for the First AEON: (What your god or goddess wishes to accomplish in the first AEON of the universe, this section can mention new concepts or objects that do not exist, but cannot add them ..)(Cannon So Far: "Overcome his propensity to Evil.")

17. Noahendless

Noahendless Experienced

Avatar: A long serpentine wearing armor of pure concentrated darkness, with large bat like wings, a mask of black fire obscuring his face all but for his eyes which when looked into reflects an image of the viewers every fear and their very soul as well as their entire life back at them.

Goals for the first AEON: To become the embodiment of light and good-ness(?) as opposed to the embodiment of evil and darkness, to create a sacred tablet to remind himself of his ideals to help others and always create never damage or destroy, and to work with Charon to create life as a means to pre-occupy his time in an attempt to thwart his inclination towards evil

18. Noahendless

Noahendless Experienced

Sorry can't copy and paste, my computer is broken I'm doing this on the Kindle

19. Simon_Silver

Simon_Silver Guest

I'll take it: let me update the lists of Gods for the game!