Court intrigue - characters

Discussion in 'RPG Information' started by majus, Jul 27, 2019.

1. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

The barony of Hauet enters a particular time of instability. The baron Gauthier Castex, known for his arrogance, brutality and aggressiveness, has called all of his vassals to the court, to take part in the ball. The ball is in the name of his second child who just entered adulthood - a daughter by the name of Nicolette, the younger sister of Nadine.
    Rumour has it, that the lecherous baron is cross with his wife, the baroness Noémi Laframboise, for she gave him only daughters. There is even rumour going around he considered divorcing her and marrying one of his vassals - lady Rachelle De Guignes, who gave birth to his son out of wedlock.
    In this tense atmosphere, the lords and ladies, vasals of the baron, have arrived at his castle, for a royal party.

Character creation: All characters start as lords and ladies of baron. The starting race is human - but the background, gender, looks and clothes are choosable.

Each player starts with one point (*) in each skill and has 6 * to add to skills (with skill-limit being 4* per).
    Each player has to choose between Martial and magic skill.

Martial/Endurance or Magic: *
    Warfare: *
    Stewardship: *
    Deception/Seduction: *
    Charisma: *
    Perception/Intelligence: *
    Willpower: *

For retinue, each player has 1000 points to spend:

Recruit (humans, but the players might choose gender):
    Green Levy - 5#
    Trained Levy - 10#
    Seasoned Levy - 20#
    Sergeant - 50#
    Seasoned Sergeant - 100#

Weapon:
    Bow/crossbow - 10#
    Spear/halberd - 5#
    Sword/mace/axe and Shield - 20#
    Two-handed sword/mace/axe - 20#

Armour:
    Rags - 0#
    Decorative leather - 5#
    Leather - 10#
    Mail - 30#
    Plate - 100#

Each character can also create up to three members of the family at the cost of 100# each. They can be parents, siblings, children or cousins - but they have to be adult.
    Players can additionally create one NPC at the cost of 100# who would serve as their lieutenants.
    None of the created NPCs can use magic.

* * *​

I'm open to suggestions for changes and improvements.

2. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

Question about the NPCs we can create: Does the cost of 100 points include their equipment, or do we have to pay for equipment separately?

3. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

No, you have to additionally pay for their equipment.

4. GenericEditor168

GenericEditor168 Really Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

Hmm... looks good, I'm interested, but I have concerns over the focus on humans.

5. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

The human kingdom is quite a racist one - having a non-human in the position of power... well, doubtful.
    If you really want to have a different race, I can think of something - but since the majority, (if not all) of nobility is racist human, it would make your game far more difficult.

6. GenericEditor168

Would a non-human NPC assistant be possible?

EDIT: Also, how obedient are family members/lieutenants?

7. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Non-human NPCs (preferably elves, dwarves - civilized races) are possible - within the reason. Mountain high, fire breathing, dragons are not acceptable.

As for family members - it would depend on their background... but there is always a possibility they might do something stupid or betray you.

8. GenericEditor168

How loyal are lieutenants?
    Also, will this take place entirely over the course of the party? Or is that just the start?

9. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

The lieutenants start of loyal... after that, many things can happen.

Party, will be an introduction. The court will be a place where the majority of the action will take place. But there will also be action on the battlefield.

10. GenericEditor168

Alright.
    How viable would a character that never showed his/her face be?

11. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Hmm...
    As NPC? Possible. But the reputation of character would take a hit and would be treated with distrust. Not to mention the possibility of someone taking his/her place.
    As a player - considering the status of lord/lady - improbable.

12. GenericEditor168

So, that means my options are:
    Play human (which I don't really want to do), or,
    Play hard mode (as an elf etc. ... again, not really what I want), or,
    Play super hard mode (as an obvious nonhuman... which is what I want).

13. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Hmm...
    One, non-human would be acceptable in the open. While officially he (I guess it will be he) would be a Lord from the allied tribe - in reality, he would be a hostage, sent by his people after f.e. losing the war.
    It would still be hard mode, and plenty of racism to the character, but he could be non-human in the open. If you play well, you might even pull of Aaron, from Tytus Andronikus.

EDIT:
    He would still command a human detachment - his guardians/minders.

14. GenericEditor168

So, everyone's going to be nice to his face and treacherous when he can't see them? I could handle that.

15. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

So, if I want to create a lieutenant for my player character:
    Lieutenant: 100#
    Leather: 10#
    Can the armor be enchanted to look like Decorative Leather instead, if my player character has some skill in magic? Will that cost any extra points?

Weapon: 1-handed sword but no shield - how many points would that cost? 10 points?
    What if the character in question uses two 1-handed swords? Would that cost 20 points?

Also, does it count as creating an NPC if I just mention some things about my character's family without going into details? For example: Fourth child (which would mean that the character has at least three older siblings)?

16. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Ah, should have covered it earlier - magic and armour collide.
    But leather for the mage is acceptable (no steel, plate or chain through). There is also no problem for the mage to wear the enhanced armour - enhanced in the way you described it, to look like a decorative leather.

One-handed weapon without a shield - 10#. And yes, two weapons would cost => 10# + 10# = 20#

As for family... as long as they are not in the line of succession for your title.

17. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

Partial character sheet (yes, it's a modified version of my character from the original intrigue game):
    Name: Reana Taerin
    Sexual orientation: Lesbian
    Appearance: Raven-black shoulder-length hair (used to reach to the middle of her back at one time, but she cut it), blue eyes, D-cup breasts, slightly above average height. Prefers to wear dresses, especially ones that show off her ample bosom.

Background:
    She is from a family where the number '4' is believed to be linked to death. The reason for that is that for centuries the fourth child born to a member of the family always died at the age of 4. She is the first exception in more than three centuries. When she turned 4 she almost died several times due to various illnesses, but eventually she survived and turned 5, much to her parents' surprise and joy.

She has four siblings: 2 older brothers, an older sister and a younger sister.

Due to all the illnesses that almost killed her she has never been very strong physically. As a result she has never been very interested in physical activities, such as combat or warfare. Instead she prefers to use her looks and charisma to seduce and deceive others, especially pretty girls. She is strong-willed and perceptive.

Over the years Reana discovered she has a talent for magic. She has learned a number f useful spells – both combat and non-combat – but nothing particularly grand or impressive.

During the centuries the Taerin family's power and fortune has waxed and waned. Currently it is on the rise once again, and Reana intends to help with said rise.

Notes:
    Among the spells Reana knows is one that lets her turn her clit into a dick, however at her current skill level it lasts only a few minutes before transforming back. Because of that she has not used it all that much.

Skills:
    Magic: **
    Warfare: *
    Stewardship: *
    Deception/Seduction: ***
    Charisma: **
    Perception/Intelligence: **
    Willpower: **

Retinue:
    Sophie (Reana's Lieutenant): 100#
    Leather armor (enchanted to look like Decorative Leather): 10#
    Weapons: Two 1-handed swords 20#
    Total points: 130

10 Seasoned Levy (all busty women): 200# total
    Leather Armor (enchanted to look like Decorative Leather) x10: 100# total
    Bows x4: 40#
    Halberds x4: 20#
    1-handed sword x10: 100#
    Shield x6: 60#

In other words: All 10 have a 1-handed sword as a backup weapon. Four of them also have a bow as a main weapon, while another 4 have halberd + shield as a main weapon. The last 2 have just sword + shield.

Their armor is just regular leather armor, however the enchantment makes it seem like the armor is thin and skin-tight, emphasizing their curves, their chests and butts in particular. Many have made the mistake to assume these women are just for show and are no threat.

Total points: 520

Aurelia – Reana's mother, renowned for her beauty and youthful looks. Despite having given birth to five children she looks only a few years older than Reana, and in fact a few times travelers have confused her for Reana's older sister. Her looks have led to various rumors about her:
    - some claim she is not fully human – the most common theory is that she's part elf
    - others claim she has been blessed by a god(dess)
    - and yet others claim that her beauty is in fact a curse
    So far Aurelia has kept the truth to herself.

Teara – Reana's older sister. She's a renowned and skilled warrior. When fully equipped for combat she wears a full suit of plate armor, with a two-handed greatsword on her back, a pair of 1-handed swords on her belt, and also a small crossbow.

Aurelia (100 points) + Teara (100 points) + plate armor (100 points) + one 2-handed sword (20 points) + two 1-handed swords (20 points) + small crossbow (10 points) = 350 points total

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Arachna likes this.
  18. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

I thought you were giving decorative leather to the player only... Originally I thought that straps of armour could be best described as sexy armour, also known as bikini armour... soooo, I do have to ask about the gender of soldiers (or genders) and how it actually looks.

There is no problem with keeping the cash # for later. But during the war, there will be few occasions to hire professionals.

EDIT: have my doubts about the clit-dick thing, but it's acceptable.
    So, your character is pretty good. You don't want to add family members?

19. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

Uh, no, I was working on Sophie at the time I asked about the decorative armor. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I'll come up with a description for the armors later. Reana herself will likely stick to dresses most of the time, with spells used in place of armor... I think – not final on this.

The soldiers are all female (I knew I forgot something!) - will add that along with the armor description.

I'm keeping the extra points precisely because I am trying to decide on one or two family members.

The clit-to-dick spell won't see much – if any – use at the beginning, and depending on how the game goes it might not get used at all outside Reana masturbating, but I like having the option – just in case.

20. Omega98

Omega98 CHYOA Guru

A couple of questions:
    1. What would be the difference between a Lieutenant and a Seasoned Sergeant?
    2. Weapons and armor for the PC, family members, Lieutenants, and retinue are all selected from the same list? (ie no special gear for the PC?)
    3. Since family members, lieutenants, and the retinue are described as NPCs I assume the players will not be controlling their actions.
    4. Do we create backgrounds for our retinues?