"Dark" and "Sepia": two great options that would enhance the site...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nemo of Utopia, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

Now, I am not dissing the present site, it's great, but the option to set a "dark" or "sepia" reading mode, (black background, white text: or tan background, brown text,) would be a nifty feature. Some people, myself included, have trouble with the current black-on-white reading mode, especially anyone with dyslexia. I personally wouldn't use the "Dark" mode, but "Sepia" would increase my output by an order of magnitude. (At least it has when using it on other sites with that option.)

2. Funatic

Funatic Really Really Experienced

Like, uh, it already exists though. Just read any chapter and at the top right beneath your Username will be an A. Click on it. Granted that doesn't put the main site into 'Nightmode' and the top bar stay white for some reason but it does the job.

Can't speak for phone users.

3. RicoLouis

RicoLouis Really Really Experienced

I believe he means for the whole site.

8inchesandcounting and Funatic like this.
  4. Funatic

Funatic Really Really Experienced

Probably. Decided to go with the worst assumption in case anybody else didn't know as I myself ignored that A for months.

5. Nemo of Utopia

I knew about the A, but it doesn't cover the whole site. The existence of the A is why I thought it would be easy. Also, the sepia option is not the one I was thinking of, the tan is much too yellowish, I was picturing something more brownish...

In fact adding a number of other options such as a very dark green on a very light green, or blue on blue, would be a big improvement on it...

6. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

You could use a browser extension to modify the appearance of the site, manipulating the CSS output. (On Chrome, I use Stylebot for that purpose.)

7. Nemo of Utopia

Yes, but, using a third-party extension is always a security risk.

8inchesandcounting likes this.
  8. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

So you don't use an adblocker (for example) because of security issues?

9. Nemo of Utopia

Precisely: also, because I feel that the websites I visit deserve their advertising revenue for providing me with the content I access.

10. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Well, then let's say Grammarly... (or any app on your smart phone)

(side note: the suggestion of manipulating CSS from client side is obviously a workaround, though it could be still useful if the after implementing such a suggestion)

11. Nemo of Utopia

EVERY program you install is a potential security breach, the difficulty is deciding who you HAVE TO trust, and who you can safely keep at arm's length. Grammarly falls on the first side of that ledger, this style manipulation add-on: DOES NOT. Besides, I shouldn't HAVE to install an add-on to do this, the site should be programmed to make that unnecessary. Why it is not, I do not pretend to know.

12. nezumi69

nezumi69 Virgin

+1

13. insertnamehere

insertnamehere Really Really Experienced