Intrigue RPG (System and character creation)

Discussion in 'RPG Information' started by bastardlydastard, Apr 2, 2017.

1. bastardlydastard

bastardlydastard Really Experienced

This game uses a heavily bastardized version of a system I used to use a few years back.

Stats first, and brace yourselves, there are a lot of them.

The Stats:

Martial: Your skill in a battle. If you are challenged to a duel, your Martial stat would determine the outcome. Can be used to oppose enemy Martial rolls.

Warfare: Your skill at understanding battle tactics and strategies. If you are commanding an army in battle, your warfare skill would determine the outcome. Can be used to oppose enemy Warfare rolls.

Finance: Your skill at managing money. If you are trying to correct numbers in a banking report, or indeed falsify them, your Finance stat will determine the outcome.

Deception: Your skill at lying. If you are trying to mislead, misdirect, or misinform another, your Deception skill determines the outcome.

Espionage: Your skill at covertly gathering information. If you are trying to find out about a noble’s vices without being noticed, your Espionage stat will determine the outcome.

Seduction: Your skill at sex and initiating it. If you are trying to bed a nobleman, your Seduction skill determines the outcome.

Charisma: Your skill at making friends and allies. If you are trying to befriend a former enemy, your charisma stat will determine the outcome.

Command: Your skill at leading others. If you are trying to force someone to obey you without leverage, your Command stat would determine the outcome.

Perception: Your skill at noticing fine details. Can be used to oppose enemy Finance, Deception, and Espionage rolls.

Willpower: Your skill at resisting temptation. Can be used to oppose enemy Command, Charisma, and Seduction rolls.

Fortitude: Your skill at resisting physical harm. Basically, your HP.

To roll your stats, roll 3 six sided dice, or use a number generator, either or, eleven times, and record the results each time. Use the table on this page: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores/
    To determine your modifiers for each roll. You may then assign those modifiers to your stats in any order you choose.
    Feel free to ask any questions you have.

2. GenericEditor168

GenericEditor168 Really Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

The link isn't working. Also, are non-human characters permitted, and to what extent?

bastardlydastard likes this.
  3. Funatic

Funatic Really Really Experienced

Link works fine for me.

4. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

The link is working fine for me. What do you get when you try to open it?

Now let's see if I got it right:
    Rolls: 16, 10, 13, 11, 17, 15, 15, 13, 17, 16, 14

Stat: Modifier
    Martial: +0
    Warfare: +1

Finance: +2
    Deception: +3
    Espionage: +2

Seduction: +3
    Charisma: +3
    Command: +1

Perception: +2
    Willpower: +3
    Fortitude: +0

5. bastardlydastard

The link seems to work for me as well, I think it's an issue on your end.
    As for non-human characters, you are nobles of a human kingdom, so no non-humans. Sorry.

6. bastardlydastard

Yeah, you did it almost perfectly.
    Two things I forgot to mention though. First, you have five points to distribute among your scores as you see fit. Second, if your fortitude is zero, you have one hit point. Basically, Hp is 1 + your fortitude modifier. Having one hp isn't as terrifying as it sounds, as you will see within the confines of the game.
    Despite the many stats, character creation is pretty quick in this game. As soon as your stats are done you can hop straight to naming and descriptions.

7. GenericEditor168

And now it's working fine. Inexplicable computer gremlins?
    Anyway, I got:
    Rolls: 7, 12, 5, 12, 15, 13, 6, 8, 7, 9, 12.
    So what do I do with those?

8. bastardlydastard

Follow the link in the original post. about a third of the way down the page there is a table that will tell you your modifiers. You know how in for queen and country we only recorded the modifiers, not the actual stats? It's just that again. Then assign your scores however you see fit. Once you have done that, you have five extra points that you can distribute around your skills as you like. After that, find your hp using the equation 1+your fortitude modifier, and you are done with character creation, save for backstories and names and the like.

9. GenericEditor168

So, that would give me (I think this is correct)
    1 -3, 3 -2s, 2 -1s, 4 +1s and a +2?

10. Funatic

Here I go then.

Rolls: 8, 11, 15, 11, 13, 16, 14, 13, 8, 12, 10

If i got the right table that would translate into:

8 = -1 (Goes to Espionage)
    11= 0 (Goes to Finance)
    15= +2 (Goes to Martial)
    11= 0 (Goes to Deception)
    13= +1 (Goes to Fortitude)
    16= +3 (Goes to Warfare)
    14= +2 (Goes to Willpower)
    13= +1 (Goes to Perception)
    8= -1 (Goes to Seduction)
    12= +1 (Goes to Command)
    10= 0 (Goest to Charisma)

As Stats (Modifiers):

Martial: +2
    Warfare: +3
    Finance: 0
    Deception: 0
    Espionage: -1
    Seduction: -1
    Charisma: 0
    Perception: +1
    Willpower: +2
    Fortitude: +1

Stat: Distribution of Five Points

Martial:
    Deception:
    Espionage:
    Seduction:
    Charisma:
    Perception:
    Willpower:
    Fortitude: +1

Stat Total:

Warfare: +4
    Command: +2
    Fortitude: +2

Does this look about right?

11. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

Alright, so with the 5 extra points my char's stats would be:
    Stat: Modifier
    Martial: +0

Finance: +2+1 = 3
    Deception: +3+1 = 4
    Espionage: +2

Seduction: +3+1 = 4
    Charisma: +3+1 = 4

Perception: +2+1 = 3
    Willpower: +3
    Fortitude: +0

I'm trusting you on the claim that having just 1 HP is not that bad, or else I would have increased Fortitude instead of Charisma.

12. bastardlydastard

Yep, looks right to me. Did you add your five points yet?

13. bastardlydastard

Yep, looks dead on. Now just mark down your HP, which is three, and you are all set.

14. bastardlydastard

Yeah, Hp is only really important if you duel a lot or are targeted by assassins. Even then, you have a lot of opportunities to escape unharmed before hp even becomes an issue.

But yeah, You are all set. You can begin on description and backstory now if you like.

15. Funatic

Name: Allia Antorha

Appearance:

Hair: Black, very long

Eyes: Dark Brown

Figure: Lean, athletic

Details: Fine nose, Sharp Eyes, thin, red lips, white teeth, more tanned than the average noble.

Preferred Clothes: Dresses that leave enough freedom for the legs (Short skirts or slit open at the side), Uniforms. Will have her rapier with her if allowed to wear these.

Court Clothes: Black and/or dark green dresses, the two colour of her houses, that are made in the current fashion but from the least expensive materials. No jewellery.

Stats:

Warfare: +4
    Command: +2
    Fortitude: +2

Health: 3

Story:

From a southern border province of the duchy Allia was the third daughter of her family. Allia was never meant to rule but to serve in the army of the duchy instead. However, a terrible hunting incident claimed the life of her father and her two older brothers when she had completed her base training. Her mother, falling into depression, had no ability to rule so she took up the responsibility of ladyship. What had been a terrible tragedy turned into great fortune for that part of the land. Although she never had been particularly well schooled in the manners of court Allia’s abilities in war and treasury were exceptional.

In time, she found out that the whole accident was staged. The name of the person responsible was never revealed to Allia but she found a ring with the depiction of a bears head. The reason for the murder became apparent as well: Her Father had started taking loans, lots of them, from less than credible sources. New payments were never demanded but the treasury was still empty.

With her local economy in shambles, being held together only by her sheer force of will, she makes way to the court of the duke to find allies. All she has to give though is a small but able military.

Character:

Allia was not raised for court life and other nobles can easily see that. She doesn’t move with the gracility of true noblewoman, instead almost marching in her dress. Her speech is a bit to blunt and often snarky. Lastly, she always looks a bit disdainful at everyone who overindulges, be it food, alcohol or sex.

If one can live through that they are met with a trustworthy ally or friend. She isn’t a good liar and she knows that so she stays away from deceptions, instead giving her genuine help.

While not being a great seductress herself she is not against some fun on the sidelines (Providing that there is some way to prevent pregnancy).

This ought to be it then.

16. bastardlydastard

Yep, absolutely allowed to.

17. bastardlydastard

Ok, I will set up a page for character sheets, I'll drop a link when its done. Copy and paste your character over there.

18. bastardlydastard

19. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

My throws:
    3,6,3=12 | +1
    5,4,6=15 | +3
    4,1,5=10 | 0
    5,1,3=9 | -1
    2,6,5=13 | +2
    4,1,5=10 | 0
    2,3,5=10 | 0
    2,6,1=9 | -1
    3,6,4=13 | +2
    6,5,5=16 | +3
    2,5,5=12 | +1

Skills match and +5 points
    Martial: 0
    Warfare: -1
    Finance: +2 +1 = +3
    Deception: +3 +1 = +4
    Espionage: +2 +1 = +3
    Seduction: +3 +1 = +4
    Command: -1
    Willpower: +1 +1 = +2
    Fortitude: 0
    HP = 1

Question – how do the religions look? Is it possible to have a theology schooled protagonist (a nun)? Or would you prefer something standard?

20. bastardlydastard

Absolutely. The world is still new, so the lore is pliable. Feel free to make up a religion and have your character follow it.