Noir RP Character creation thread

Discussion in 'RPG Information' started by majus, Nov 5, 2023.

1. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Character creation

Name:
    Description/pic:
    History:

Choose archetype – archetypes represent a type of person the character is. It doesn't define the job, only a general feeling of the character, skillset, cash and equipment.

Skills – one point in skill is expertise, and two points are mastery. The number of points depends on the Archetype.

Resources – one point is equipment of common value, two points is equipment of great value (f.e. 1 point weapon – revolver, 2 points weapon - a shotgun). Resources include followers – friends, lovers, family or subordinates who lend their aid to the best of their ability. A number of points depend on Archetype.

Cash – a set amount of cash. What was worth a dollar in 1920s is worth around 13 dollars today. The amount of cash depends on the Archetype.

Peril (3 points max) – peril describes the negative baggage/sins from the past that carry to this day. 1 point is a common problem like debts or health problems, 2 points represent dangerous/life-destroying problems like blackmail or threat of stay in prison, 3 points represent deadly problem, like a death sentence from the mafia or deadly illness that influences actions.
    Choose one peril

Peril can be increased – each additional point in peril can be exchanged for one of the options:
    1) 2 skill points + 100$
    2) 4 resource points + 100$
    3) 1 000 $

Archetypes:

The Detective (male)

[​IMG]

A man experienced with life, carrying his scars from the past, a Great War, a personal tragedy, or just an experience he had with the dark side of society. He has insight into the darker side of human nature that makes him a skilled investigator. Yet, he has his own problems – problems with health, and lack of money are the most common perils. Policemen, private detectives and streetwise small criminals are prime examples of The Detective.

Skills:
    Investigation 1
    Small arms 1
    Choose 3 additional skills or increase (to max 2) existing ones

Resources:
    Weapon 1 (handgun)
    Office or Apartment 1
    Choose 1 additional resource or increase (to max 2) existing ones

Cash: 10 $
    Peril: 1 point

The Dame (female)

[​IMG]

A woman from higher society. A distinguished, charming and beautiful woman who interacts with the most influential and powerful in the city. Yet she is not without her own troubles – for the higher you are, the greater your problems are. A blackmail material that can cost her a fortune or freedom or criminal who wants to take her money are among common examples of troubles of the Dame. A wife of a powerful industrialist, a widow after a senator or an inheritor of fortune are examples of the Dame.

Skills:
    Charm 1
    Etiquete 1
    Choose 1 additional skill or increase (to max 2) existing ones

Resources:
    Contacts 2 (legal – high society.)
    House 1 (small mansion)
    Car 1
    Choose 4 additional resources or increase (to max 2) existing ones

Cash: 1 000 $

Peril: 2 points

The Con Man (male)

[​IMG]

A man with a sharp mind, charming smile and sharp tongue. The Con Man made his life trying to get to the top, to accumulate the most power, to get the most money, the best cars, most beautiful women. Yet the road to the top is usually not a clean one, and he has a few skeletons hidden in his closet. A debt to the mafia who gave him power, a group of vengeful workers whom he fired and an investigation by the police are the most common troubles of The Con Man. A gangster, a councilman, a lawyer, owner of the bar are examples of The Con Man.

Skills:
    Charm 1
    Deception 1
    Choose 2 additional skills or increase (to max 2) existing ones

Resources:
    Contacts 1 (choose legal or illegal)
    Apartment 2 (A large apartment)
    Car 1
    Choose 2 additional resources or increase (to max 2) existing ones

Cash: 300 $

Peril: 2 points

The Femme Fatale (female)

[​IMG]

A woman of sexual appeal and ambition. Her ambition to change her situation is trouble for those she interacts with, and her hunger for influence, riches and reputation. She does not have much, but her experience with life and men has taught her much. Yet her actions had left her in a bit of a bind. A scorned lover, debt and poor health are among the most common problems The Femme Fatale has to face. A prostitute, a widow after a soldier and a club singer are the most prominent examples of The Femme Fatale.

Skills:
    Seduction 1
    Manipulation 1
    Choose 4 additional skills or increase (to max 2) existing ones

Resources:
    Apartment 1

Cash: 20 $

The Reporter (male or female)

[​IMG]

The Reporter is a person who lives from the news. The reasons can differ – fame, money, justice, reputation, but the effect is always the same, The Reporter will make waves. The Reporter will be listened to with great interest, but it's far harder for The Reporter to make people talk. Because of their actions, the reporter will usually have some distrust aimed at them. A scorned industrialist described in one of the articles, an annoyed mafia member or policeman and a jealous coworker are but examples of troubles The Reporter can face. Women's fashion magazine writers, news anchors, and radio speakers are but some examples of the reporter.

Skills:
    Contacts 1
    Investigation 1
    Choose 3 additional skills or increase (to max 2) existing ones

Resources:
    Apartment 1
    Car 1
    Contacts 1

Cash: 40 $

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  2. Arachna

Arachna CHYOA Guru

(Went with a club singer type in the end)

Name:
    Caroline Burke(Formerly Engel)
    [​IMG]

History:
    A German woman and club singer who immigrated to America in her youth, charming many men for her looks, and talent, but very few caught her attention. Her husband, a major figure in the Whiteland mob, had managed to win her over with excitement and the kind of life of luxury he could provide. After using a bit of pull and hooks he had, that's when her career had really put her on the map, landing a record deal and enjoying a massive up jump in her popularity and fame. Operating in her club, she often sings and performs in front a crowd. Though the real main attraction, is something else entirely. Anyone who thinks she's part of the entertainment herself, rarely comes back the same way they left.
    Choose archetype – Dame
    Skills
    Charm-2
    Etiquette-1

Resources
    Contacts-Legal(High Society) 2
    House 1-(Small Mansion)
    Car 1
    Influence- Whiteland Mob 1
    Parkland Social Club(Brothel) 1-While she tries to downplay her role with the mob, she is the owner of one of the front's they operate out of.
    Famous 1
    Bodyguard-1 -Discreet, serious, and professional. These guys are the real deal. Carol doesn't really go for the idea "come alone." At least, not for her. She'll almost never go anywhere without protection. Her current model is named Jakob. German. Ex-military. Front-line Infantry.

Cash-1000$
    Peril-2
    Unmade-
    While she carries not an insignificant amount of power and influence, there’s an important distinction in that she is not considered an actual member of Whiteland under the commission’s rules and does not have the same kind of natural protections in place usually provided by the code. While most would think twice after going after an actual high ranking member’s spouse, she doesn’t require the same kind of approval to being gone after like it does for those who are made. This is something known by other influential figures of the underworld, but while the mob is still under no special obligation to protect her, they won’t put up with someone interfering with their business either.

1) 2 skill points + 100$
    2) 4 resource points + 100$
    3) 1 000 $

unisol_gr44 and majus like this.
  3. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

I screwed up. I meant for it to be only one peril of different degree, but used old draft in character creation and somewhat missed it! :eek:

Sorry!

Good start! Like the first pic.

Peril would require change, but this is mostly my fault as I screwed up the description. Sorry!

Arachna and unisol_gr44 like this.
  4. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Starting peril 2 , if you want to take bigger peril for additional point, you will have peril 3 - not peril 2 and peril 1. So basically increase existing peril. There is a big praise in it in either skills, money or resources, but it comes with baggage.

Hmm... one point would be equal to one competent bodyguard, or let's say four goons/thugs.

Mind you, if you are taking a brothel/bar - it comes in with personnel.
    I did not include that you can use resource points to improve the archetype's resources, did I? :confused:

unisol_gr44 likes this.
  5. unisol_gr44

unisol_gr44 CHYOA Guru

One question: Contacts 1/2 is in resources for con man and dame but it's a skill for the reporter, is that intentional or a mistake?

majus likes this.
  6. Regin34

Regin34 CHYOA Guru

I like picture of female reporter, do you mind if I take it for my character? It looks like AI, but if not could you give link?

unisol_gr44 and majus like this.
  7. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, you are right, this is my mistake. Contacts should be in resources for the reporter. I will fix reporter's template later today.

Sure. I will send you link later today.

unisol_gr44 and Regin34 like this.
  8. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

unisol_gr44 and Regin34 like this.
  9. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

@unisol_gr44

Okay, fixed the reporter.
    Hopefully, I have not made any other mistakes :D

unisol_gr44 likes this.
  10. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

High Profile- The drawback to living the high life, it's difficult for anyone not to recognize her or keep her name away from things.

I would say it's level one peril. It would be more of annoyance and inability to be a private person.

on peril 2 f.e. there would be a stalker, that would behave quite creepily and could escalate.

on level 3, f.e. her studio wanted her dead, because her record would then sell for higher price.

11. unisol_gr44

unisol_gr44 CHYOA Guru

Name –
    Andrew MacLeod
    Description/pic –
    [​IMG]
    History –
    Born in Scotland in 1899, Andrew grew up in a working class family in the slums of Glasgow. His father worked as a construction worker and his mother was a housewife. His father was called to war in 1915, forcing his mother to work in a textile factory while his older sister took over the housekeeping.

After Andrew's father fell at Passchendaele in 1917, his mother decided to move them to the United States, where her brother's family had already moved a few years earlier, fearing his conscription.

To help with the family budget, his uncle, who was a typesetter at a big newspaper, got Andrew a job as an assistant, getting him a knack for the trade by helping the senior journalists.

Andrew got his break when the newspaper's star journalist Maeve O'Hara called in sick and the editor needed someone to deal with an emerging story quickly. Taking the assignment, Andrew excelled at his report and quickly found himself getting more work headed his way.

Earning a reputation as a tenacious muckraker, Andrew did not make many friends with the kind of people that would hide their affairs in the shadows.

Choose archetype
    The reporter.

Skills
    Investigation 2
    Fisticuffs 1
    Dangerous Driving 1

Resources
    Apartment 1
    Camera 1
    Car 1
    Contacts 1
    Weapon 1 – .45 M1911 pistol

Cash
    $40

Peril (1 point) –
    Rival journalist – Maeve O'Hara, an Irish-American woman, had singled-out the young MacLeod to be a danger to her career as the newspaper's star journalist. She'd rather see him falter before he took her limelight.

majus and Arachna like this.
  12. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

You spent one point to many in resources - aaannnndddd I see why. Dammit! I really am not on my best recently. Okay, fixed the description. Removed Camera and placed Contacts in resources.
    Also, what kind of weapon?

Except that - looks good!

unisol_gr44 likes this.
  13. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

The only thing that I would modify, is in Unmade - I would add that her insecure position just became known to the wider criminal audience.

Except that, it looks great!

unisol_gr44 likes this.
  14. unisol_gr44

unisol_gr44 CHYOA Guru

Okay, removed the motorcycle and the weapon would be a .45 calibre M1911 pistol.

majus likes this.
  15. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Then you are good and ready to roll!

Again, sorry for my screw ups with sheets :oops:

unisol_gr44 likes this.
  16. unisol_gr44

unisol_gr44 CHYOA Guru

Great and don't sweat it, it's no problem at all.

majus likes this.