Post bug reports here!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by airwreck, Jul 15, 2014.

1. SatanOnCoke

SatanOnCoke Virgin CHYOA Backer

The problem started happening right after I tried started the game for the first time. Right after I clicked it, I was brought to the error page stating it had redirected me too many times. Ending/Resetting the game fixed it on PC, just not mobile.

2. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

I don't know. Though that issue is rather minor, so I would fix other things first.

Does it make a difference if you're using WiFi (the same as your desktop) or not?

3. Almax

Almax Really Experienced

I've been doing a good bit of testing and idea-gathering by speeding through multiple Game Mode plays of my story Becoming a Warrior, but suddenly it started taking me to a page that only says "Whoops, looks like something went wrong." and nothing else whenever I enter Game Mode. I'm not sure why (maybe because I was just scrolling through a bunch of chapters one after another?)

It does this whenever I'm logged in on any device, but doesn't do this when I enter Game Mode without being logged in -- while logged in, I can see the story fine if I'm out of Game Mode (something I can only do by appending ?game=end to the end of the link, since the page is empty besides the text bubble), but if I go into Game Mode then I can't see anything again. I've also tried restarting the Game, in case there was some variables I had that was causing some problem with the site, but that didn't fix the problem. The story is pretty focused on Game Mode, so I won't be able to do much more work on it while I can't test stuff like this.

Is there anything that can be done? I'll keep an eye on this forum, and also my direct messages, if there's any questions for me or things for me to try. Thank you, and sorry for taking up your time!

4. SatanOnCoke

SatanOnCoke Virgin CHYOA Backer

No, it doesn't matter what WiFi I use, if any at all. No matter how I try to view it on mobile it doesn't work.

5. Almax

Almax Really Experienced

Oh, by the way, adding onto this! Entering Game Mode in other people's stories while logged in doesn't cause me any problems -- it's only when I open my story while logged into my account, even after appending ?game=reset to the link, and the only way to see anything at all is if I end the game in a similar way.

6. blank97

blank97 Really Experienced

I know I am probably not qualified enough to suggest anything as you have more experience in this site and game mode and you have probably tried it. But if you haven't tried it, try recovering any chapter if you have deleted any recently.

Also ?game=reset should be appended after story's introduction url (it has story id instead of chapter id) not chapter's and it only works if you have started game mode. If you haven't started it and just add ?game=reset to story's introduction it will not work. So what I would do is add ?game=reset to introduction chapter copy it, start game then paste the link and enter. I assume many people might add ?game=reset to chapter's url or add it to introduction chapter without starting game.

I am sure you did it the right way but I am just reminding you just in case you did it wrong.

Almax and gene.sis like this.
  7. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

We found the cause of this problem and fixed it.
    It should work again. (Though we deleted your savegame.)

Good point.
    Though the difference of the "introduction url" might be somewhat misleading.
    There are two links that lead to the introduction chapter. So you need to add
    Code:
    ?game=reset
    to the link that starts with
    Code:
    chyoa.com/story/

We applied a (temporary) change to see if this is the cause of the problem.

Could you please try to open the story again? (Before you try that, please clear your cache. Or exit the browser and open it in incognito mode.)

Almax and Friedman like this.
  8. blank97

That is why I added "It has story ID" so that people check for it to make sure it is the right one.

I thought everyone opens this site in incognito. Who wants to have CHYOA show up in the history:p

9. Almax

Almax Really Experienced

Hey, don't feel like you can't offer any advice! There's nothing wrong with trying to be helpful, I appreciate it a lot. That took time and effort to type those out after thinking of 'em.

Thanks, gene.sis! That was a really quick turn around, you guys are the best.

10. DarthQWK

DarthQWK Experienced

So this really isn’t a big deal but more of something I found amusing. I have more likes on a chapter than views. I have seen it before and it updates later.

Attached Files:

11. flynnd.rider

flynnd.rider Virgin

I keep getting notifications for ignored authors on favourited stories. Some stories have dozens of threads and most of them are not worth reading, so I don't want dozens of notifications saying that only the bad authors are posting to it.

12. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

That's not a bug but it looks indeed funny :)

There are a lot of views to be counted, so the system uses kind of tally marks. Every hour, the system calculates the numbers, adds them to the respective chapters/stories, and then deletes the original records.
    As there are not as many likes, they get added to the chapter directly.

As far as I know, the ignore function is only meant to ignore messages from the ignored user.
    I don't think this feature should be used to ignore notifications from certain authors' chapters as users might want to avoid the notifications but would at the same time (unintentionally) block their messages.

Maybe as a separate feature. You might want to add a suggestion about that in the Suggestion Subforum.

13. DarthQWK

DarthQWK Experienced

So I noticed that there was no paragraphs in this chapter when I remember them being there when I released the chapter. I tried fixing it but it only made the problem worse. Now it has what looks like html or css mixed into it. https://chyoa.com/chapter/The-ogre.805996

I got it transferred although I will wait until I hear back to release it. If you get the old chapter working I can copy it back in.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  14. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Thanks! (Your chapter should be fixed now. I have saved a copy of it to try to reproduce the problem.)

Do you have RTE activated or deactivated?
    Do you write on CHYOA or do you use another program for it and just copy the finished chapter to CHYOA?

15. DarthQWK

DarthQWK Experienced

I wrote it directly on chyoa but then I find a random program to check for grammar errors so I most likely copied it and then pasted in the version with less mistakes. rte I am not sure what that is. The html/css came after I tried to fix it one my phone.

16. DarthQWK

DarthQWK Experienced

I don't remember it happening right away. I only noticed it when I came back to start writing the next chapter.

17. blank97

I think the moderator was talking about "rich text editor" it is an option you can tick on or off(on by default) in setting. Usually whenever I have faced this type of problem of paragraph merging and <p>showing in my text is when I wrote something with RTE on and saved it with Rte off or vice versa.
    There might be other reasons but I am guessing you did something similar.

18. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Exactly.

I can reproduce the problem if I directly use the content from your chapter.
    It creates a <pre> and a <code> tag in the content field. On changes, it seems to create the span tag that uses the CSS colors of the code tag.
    If these tags are removed (in the DOM), everything works as intended.

Different editors might interpret the code differently and might create problems.
    So this might have caused the problem.
    Maybe using a browser extension for grammar checks might be useful.

19. zechs195

zechs195 Virgin CHYOA Backer

I have a notification for a new message but when I click on messages there’s nothing new.

20. MidbossMan

MidbossMan Really Really Experienced

Same, usually means a spammer was deleted and I think it'll go away on its own after a while.