Problem with leaving an empty line between paragraphs

Discussion in 'CHYOA General' started by exx, Apr 19, 2024.

1. exx

exx Virgin

On one of my pages, I’m trying to leave a blank line between some of my paragraphs, like this:

Paragraph #1, text text text text text
    [empty line here]
    Paragraph #2, text text text text text.

The weird thing is, it allows me to put that space between SOME paragraphs, but not others. If I try to make an edit to put blank lines between the remaining paragraphs that didn’t work, when I go back to the publicly viewable page, the edits are gone, and it’s back to the normal line spacing. How do I fix this, and why does it weirdly let me put empty lines between some paragraphs and not others?

2. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

CHYOA uses Markdown to save the formatting when content gets stored in the database.

If the option RTE is activated in your settings, the content gets converted into Markdown when it is saved.
    If the option is deactivated, you can write in plain Markdown directly.

When a chapter is shown to a reader, the Markdown from the database gets converted into HTML, and is adjusted to create a uniform structure with HTML paragraphs and HTML line breaks. During that process, Markdown will also remove "unnecessary" whitespaces and line breaks from the content. (Adding 2 spaces " " at the end of a line should create a line break.)
    Thus, Markdown might remove empty lines from the content.

If the mentioned 2 spaces at the end of a line don't do the trick, you might need to use a different kind of whitespace like an em space that would be interpreted as text and thus won't be removed.

If RTE is used, the conversion to Markdown might lead to further issues with "non-standard" formatting. There might also be information lost when you open a saved chapter with RTE activated as the Markdown gets converted into RTE.

3. zankoo

zankoo Really Experienced CHYOA Backer

1. Use Rich Text Editor ("RTE," as cited in gene.sis's post above). Get there with the triangle menu in the top right, then General Settings, then in the OPTIONS section. Check the box.
    2. Now, when you edit stories, if you just hit return after a paragraph, you'll get a blank space between paragraphs. If you hold SHIFT while you hit return, you will not get an extra space.
    3. Profit.