Romance of three kingdoms historical Quest

Discussion in 'RPG Advertisment' started by majus, Jan 21, 2018.

1. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

'Hello' to all reading this thread!

I'm checking for the interest for Quest game (yes, another one) with the historical setting – the famous era of 180-280 in ancient China, the three kingdoms era.

The plot:
    The protagonist is transported into ancient times. Knowing about the times and main heroes of the era, she decides to make a name for herself...

The game:
    The players would mostly vote on interactions with other characters, which sides to side with, which quests to take, what strategies to implement, what plots to use, who to betray, etc.

Skills:
    She lands in a body of a 'gamer' with the ability to start either as a warrior, leader, official or strategist (based on the game of Romance of three kingdoms).

I'm considering other things:
    -heroine's ability to 'buy' units.
    -dynasty system – in case of protagonist's death, she would possess the child/friend/family member and would carry on the story
    -the setting of changing the gender of the majority of historical characters into females (so-called Gender Flip in tropes)... but I'm not sure about that one.

What do you think?

merkros likes this.
  2. merkros

merkros CHYOA Guru

I think it certainly could be fun. One of my favorite time periods. I've played all the Dynasty Warriors game and I've only just started getting into the Romance of the three kingdoms strategy games.

As far as the other things you're considering. I'm not sure what the "Ability to buy units" would entail. Would it be some sort of currency to purchase units, or some sort of currency to influence people to join you. In most portrayals of the RTK-verse, the heroes of the era tend to matter matter more than how many troops each side has(and who knows what Creative Assembly is going to do with it).

I think the dynasty system is a good idea....For uh...Obvious reasons and in the end...even the great Heroes eventually died and left the war to their children. Like Cao Pi....

...Yeah Cao Pi. That went well...right?
    [​IMG]
    (Still the best image of Sima Yi)
    Yes, I know Sima Yi didn't overthrow Cao Pi. I just don't like Cao Pi.)

As far as some of the generals being gender switched. I don't mind that too much. There's a distinct lack of female heroes within RTK. So you're either going to have to make some up, or gender switch others and call it an effect from the temporal distortions. Either way is probably fine as even the classic telling of the RTK didn't have a problem making up characters.

majus likes this.
  3. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Ability to buy units as I see it:
    -gain VC (virtual coins) by winning debates/fights/battles, doing quests, surviving, gaining allies, etc.
    -with VC buy units/heroes etc. completely loyal to the protagonist, which she can posses after death. That is additional to 'normal' recruiting of soldiers/servants.

There will be TW: Three Kingdoms? Wow! Didn't know that... now I have something to look forward to... Probably won't be as good as RoTK:XIII.

Cao Pi... well, his son, Cao Rui was a more likeable person from what I remember. Sima Yi - have you read 'Ravages of Time'? I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

Count me in! I know almost nothing about the material, so think of me as the wildcard...

majus likes this.
  5. merkros

merkros CHYOA Guru

It'll probably be a DLC-ridden abomination like most of the Total War games since....what? Empire?

Also I want to grab RoTK:13 someday. The last one i've played was 11(and I still play it often).

I'll have to look into it.

6. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

The Intro
    The year is 184 AD.
    The land is ruled by Han dynasty, which brought stability and peace and started the Golden Age of the Empire... but after four hundred years, that era has come to an end.
    The Emperor Ling is influenced by the corrupt Eunuchs, who wield the true power in the court. The internal struggle and infighting, weakaned the court considerably... as well as Emperor's grip over the land.
    At the same time, the great famine spread through the land. Lack of food, high taxes and harsh landowners caused a great pain to the common people.
    Driven by their desperation, millions flocked to the teachings of sorcerer Taoist Zhang Jiao. Emperor's inability to deal with corruption and famine was proof in Jiao's eyes, and his followers, that the Emperor lost the Mandate of Haven. Thus he lead people in open rebbelion to overthrow the Han dyansty... plunging the country into chaos.
    Emperor Ling ordered a suppresion of rebelion. General-in-Chief He Jin, brother of Empress He, started gathering forces in order to supress the rebelion and return peace to the torn-war country.
    Thus, the Yellow Turban Rebellion, has begun...
    Welcome!
    You have just been transported into begging of Three Kingdoms Era when the Yellow Turban Rebellion just started! And you will take part in this turbulent times! You can be the strategist, a warrior, a bandit, a general, a rebel, an official!
    You will possess a female Avatar – a head of the clan known for the skill of their female members. You will decide which side your clan will side with, what tasks the members will perform, the clan's politics, etc.
    In order to have more clan members, you have to buy them with Virtual Coins [VC]. You gain VC by performing tasks – winning duels, debates, battles, finishing projects, recruting, finishg quests, etc. The more VC you will spend on the creation of clan member, the more talented she will be.
    When you die, you will be able to possess another clan member – who in turn will become the head of the clan. Your adventure will end, with the death of the last member of your clan... and death is easy in this age.
    Create your Avatar!
    Skills.
    Leadership – ability to command the men, inspire their loyalty and sustain their morale.
    War – ability to fight. It includes hand to hand, weapons, bows, etc. Main skill used in duels and leading men to charge in battles.
    Intelligence – ability to strategize (also during the battle), plot and give argument during debates.
    Governing – ability to organize infrastructure, build projects/fortifications/ships, develop cities.
    All stats of Avatar start at 10. The maximum value of stat is 100, with the exception of heroic historical characters - they can have higher stat values
    Choose main skill and secondary skill:

Main skill (+20):
    [A1] Leadership
    [A2] War
    [A3] Intelligence
    [A4] Governing

Secondary skill (+10):
    [B1] Leadership
    [B2] War
    [B3] Intelligence
    [B4] Governing

Choose Avatar's age (the average lifespan in this times is 30 to 45 years):
    [C1]young adult [age 21 years old. Remaining lifespan +dice 20] – no starting dynasty members.
    [C2]adult [28 years old. Remaining lifespan +dice 12] – 2 starting dynasty members [aunts/cousins].
    [C3]middel aged [38 years old. Remaining lifespan +dice 4] – 4 starting dynasty members [sisters/daughters/cousins].

Choose the clan name
    [D1] Xie (lust)
    [D2] Lequ (pleasure)
    [D3] Gao (high)
    [D4] write in

Choose Avatar's name
    [E1] Yun (cloud)
    [E2] Liu (stream)
    [E3] Xi (delight)
    [E4] write in

AN:
    So, what do you think?
    C choice – starting dynasty members will probably be created by me. Unless there will be an outcry for readers to take part in creation.
    Now the only question is – should it be posted on the forum, or on the main page?

7. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

Could it be both?

8. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

You mean, vote here, publish the outcome on the main site?
    Doesn't that go under the rule of 'double posting'?

9. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

No two different versions. With the threads you can do one route and any other outcomes can go to the main site

10. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

I don't know if I will gather enough interested readers to take part in the project, so I will not start another before ensuring the success of the first one.
    That and, I already have a number of projects I can barely keep up with...

mindtheMILF likes this.
  11. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

12. merkros

merkros CHYOA Guru

(So do you want us to start making decisions here? Or in a new thread since this IS the RPG advert. section and not the RPG section itself)

Anyway. My choices are:

A2
    B3
    C1
    D3
    E3

13. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

A1
    B3
    C1
    D2
    E1

14. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Seriously? You choose the youngest with no backup/dynasty members?
    I published on the main page - link.
    Any suggestions?

15. merkros

merkros CHYOA Guru

We can make spares. ;)

16. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

Best way to start is with nothing. Perhaps he disbands from another dynasty or has issues with a current one as a solider. A coup? Lots of options when you choose the youngest. Remember how old Caesar Augustus and King Tut were when they reigned

17. merkros

merkros CHYOA Guru

...and remember how old King Tut was when he died

18. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

Yes...
    Speeds up the story.

19. merkros

merkros CHYOA Guru

Seems like we're not the only ones who want C1. It's us and literally everyone else. :)

mindtheMILF likes this.
  20. majus

majus CHYOA Guru

Grumbles... (people just don't have the appreciation for mature women)