The Tower of Voices Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Story Feedback' started by TheLeherengin, Mar 19, 2021.

1. TheLeherengin

TheLeherengin Really Really Experienced

I am creating a story that relies on all the readers choosing the next path I write. The story can be found at https://chyoa.com/story/The-Tower-of-Voices.34999.

The Instructions: The current chapter is here: ( https://chyoa.com/chapter/Heavy-Metal.1047329 ) Comment on the current chapter or in this thread with what you think the character should do next. The story will update every monday and thursday based on the choices or suggestions made on the most recent chapter.

You can read up to the current chapter to see what choices have been made so far to have led to the current situation or simply jump in with your thoughts and suggestions on the current chapter. A summary has been provided to help you catch up.

Posts surrounded by colons ( example :Alide:) are not story posts, but supplemental posts intended to further explain specific aspects of the story to help readers make informed suggestions.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    insertnamehere likes this.
  2. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

Good luck with your new story!

For the character: Female.

3. insertnamehere

insertnamehere Really Really Experienced

Depends on which one you write better, IMO. Authors on CHYOA tend to write women better, probably because most authors on CHYOA, irrespective of gender, are attracted to women. For that reason, I'd generally say female, but it comes down to which perspective you're more skilled with.

4. TheLeherengin

I feel like while I do prefer writing women I don't think I'm better at writing one or the other when it comes to gender. I will end up writing to my strengths either way.

Also edited the first post to add the link to the story

5. Gambio

Gambio CHYOA Guru

Eh, nobody wants to see a guy in this, Female!

6. Regin34

Regin34 CHYOA Guru

Female

7. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

8. Tjf

Tjf CHYOA Guru

I'd probably choose female, myself.

9. TheLeherengin

Ah thanks for that. I'll fix that. Also the choice seems pretty unanimous here. A week might be a bit long to wait if this is going to be the normal speed of response... I might change that in the future.

10. vasadariu

vasadariu Virgin

Sounds like a very interesting concept with a lot of ways it can go. I would prefer female for the character, though its really dealers choice what sounds more doable for you. Looking forward to more.

11. TheLeherengin

Okay. So, the votes pretty unanimous for it to be a female character, the next post will be going up on monday and it will definitely be a female character unless there's some massive upheaval in the next day or so.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  12. TheLeherengin

13. Regin34

Regin34 CHYOA Guru

I think most fun it will be with Maria, I hope for some humilation in this tower for her in the future :D
    1. Maria 2. Yulia. 3. Alianna

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Cuchuilain likes this.
  14. Tjf

Tjf CHYOA Guru

My pick would be Yulia. Corrupted innocence is always fun.

Cuchuilain likes this.
  15. Gambio

Gambio CHYOA Guru

well, that escalated quickly. I wasn't expecting DEEP PSYCHOLOGICAL CHOICES!

Maria would be the most appealing for me, but her cause also appears to be the weakest.

A Lizzard once betrayed me in an RP(Fuck you, Dorry) so Esaza is out as well

I would probably be more sympathethic towards Halley if she was younger, yeah sucks to be here and all but we can't safe everyone

That leaves us with Alianna and Yulia. Alianna is a slave but could get out of it by killing her master and Yulia has the most altruistic but also naive reason for entering the tower.

I don't think Yulia has what it takes, so sending her into the tower would be sending her to certain doom.

So, after careful consideration i decided to settle for Alianna. I think her cause is fair enough and she also has what it takes to make it trough.

16. moonblack

moonblack CHYOA Guru

Some very nice characters. After some consideration I vote for... *drumroll* Alianna Arte'lea! An obedient elf mage who deserves something better than to be a slave to her master.

Yulia would be my second choice, Maria third, and the other two are tied for last.

Regin34 likes this.
  17. insertnamehere

insertnamehere Really Really Experienced

Though it might seem nitpicky, you may want to use Single Transferable Vote for this rather than First Past the Post, since there's five options instead of two. For instance, imagine Esaza wins because 30% of people voted for her, but actually, 60% would have ranked her last out of everyone. In that case, you would probably lose most of your audience. Single Transferable means that everyone gives their second, third and fourth preference as well; whichever character gets the least (1)s is eliminated and everyone who voted for them as number (1) has their vote transferred to their number (2) instead. Repeat until there's only one option left. This way, whichever character 'wins' is guaranteed to be at least acceptable by most readers.

Anyway, my preferences would be: 1. Yulia; 2. Maria; 3. Hailey; 4. Alianna; 5. Esaza.

18. TheLeherengin

That's not a terrible idea and is my preference in terms of actual voting systems usually, so anyone who wants to feel free to edit your post to add ranking to your choices if you haven't already. Since there won't be specific options in later votes, it probably won't still be like that, but it definitely works for this. Also it will make one thing that's going to happen in the results post quite a bit funnier.

Regin34 and insertnamehere like this.
  19. TheLeherengin

The choice has been made and it's time to reveal some omissions and misleading statements I have made in regards to this game.

If you have read it you have no doubt now become aware that the characters in the story are treated as aware of things said in this thread or in the comments of the story and the characters will react and be affected by what is said to them.

As well there will not actually be voting at least not in the normal sense. You are all free to suggest actions and each suggestion will reach the character and she will assess them and make choices, though repeated suggestions will be given more weight.

This does not mean that I will have a character reject the will of you the voices, at least not outright, but it does mean the character will potentially do more than one thing suggested and may not do somethings if only one person suggests it and it is clearly ridiculous though.

Example: Two people suggest checking the silver door first, and one person suggests checking the wood door first, while another suggests that she should check for traps on the doors. The result will likely be, that the character will check the silver door first, but will also probably check it for traps before entering. You are also allowed to make multiple suggestions in a single post. Ie someone could suggest to go to the silver door and check it for traps.

Also starting on the next post there will be some game mechanic stuff, such as a health and mana measuring system. An inventory tracker and the like to help you make informed choices.

insertnamehere, Gambio and Regin34 like this.
  20. Regin34

Regin34 CHYOA Guru

Yulia should first pray to her gods for guideness and check wooden doors, using some wooden stick. And take off bra, to not touch door by bare hand :D I hope she will slowly lost all her clothes, willing or unwilling.

Tjf likes this.