Yet Another Problem With The Harknes Test

Discussion in 'Authors' Hangout' started by Nemo of Utopia, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Nemo of Utopia

Nemo of Utopia CHYOA Guru

So I just published a chapter in my new Inside The Game story, and..

I think I might have crossed a line.

That's what I said, but is that beyond the pale? If not, how much would it be acceptable to bring up this aspect of Things before it became an issue?

As I said, sex with their males Totally isn't going to be displayed "on camera" because "EEW!", but in the next scene I am planning...

The Main character ends up in a cage fight with the Empress' "personal impregnator"...

So I'm asking for opinions, have I crossed the line already, and if not, how hard do I have to veer left to avoid doing so?

2. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

This is just my opinion here:
    I would say you were good with the harkness test until...

Spoiler

That crossed the line if there is any sexual act portrayed. Ask Friedman. Who knows I could be wrong?

3. Nemo of Utopia

Your spoiler didn't come across...

And no, no sex act with non-sapients will be portrayed, ever, but the fact such things OCCURRED and continues to occur, can't help but be mentioned* occasionally.
    *(In a strictly clinical and brief manner.)

As an example, when they complete the equipping of their colony mission for the Gaia planet in their solar system, it will be brought up that they have "gathered 1000 of the top performing male Salutar from around the world to be used for the required fertility rites for building a new city". That's all that will be said, but things like that will come up sometimes...

4. mindtheMILF

mindtheMILF Guest

I didn't mean to write my spoiler like you had. My concern was your spoiler.
    If you are writing it in a way of avoiding sexual act, but pointing it out that they doing it discreetly outside of the story lines. Then I see no issue.

You need more people on this thread to comment.

5. gene.sis

gene.sis CHYOA Guru

Is it even possible (necessary) to apply the Harkness test on reproduction behavior within a single species?

6. Nemo of Utopia

IDK, that's a big part of the problem.

I mean people have gotten away with dogs as long as the person inside the dog could still THINK, even though they couldn't comunicate: but personally I think that was a total ass-pull...

7. Nemo of Utopia

And as if the waters weren't muddy enough, I just realized I probably can't do the first two stages of SPORE either due to the Fish and Creature stages of the game not featuring sapients... (-_-)

8. Nemo of Utopia

@Friedman : If you could give some clarity to this issue that would be great...

9. Friedman

Friedman Administrator

Harkness Test, Question 1: Does it have Human Intelligence (or "greater")? No, they're "approximately the same intelligence as the pigs they resemble: bright, for an animal, but distinctively an ANIMAL, not a sapient being". So you can't have sex with them.

Bestiality is defined as "sexual relations between a human being and a lower animal" (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bestiality). Sex within the species is fine, as long as they have reached sexual maturity.

Your description of the species is fine.

10. Nemo of Utopia

This leaves only one issue: you said "sex within the species is fine" would that include between two non-sapients? Say the story is written from the point of view of a male wolf, would it be OK to write about his finding and mounting his (just as non-sapient as he is) mate?

I ask because of THIS thread...

11. Nemo of Utopia

On further review, I think I'm just going to apply a little handwavium and go ahead once we have a voter or two: thanks Friedman, you've been helpful, as always!

Friedman likes this.